#11 It's a romantic movie

Daisy looks back and Frank is standing on the beach not too far from where she is, along with Nate and Drey.

Daisy knows why she's being summoned.

"Catch you later," she says to Tim and walks to the boys.

As soon as she's near, Nate grabs her hand and takes her behind one of the parked cars. Daisy sighs and mutters, "Here we go."

"I told you not to flirt with my friends!" Nate says.

"If I had flirted with him, we would not be wasting our time sitting down and chatting on the beach now," she says, making Nate glare harder. "And you only said that about Frank."

"Every guy here is out of limits for you. I don't want you swindling my men. I'm already betraying their trust by letting a thief in among us. I won't let them get hurt."

Expressionless, Daisy says, "Okay. I won't talk to anyone." She turns the other way, away from the beach, and leaves.

Nate instantly feels guilty. He didn't mean to sound like that. He just didn't like her sitting so close to Tim. He pushes his hair back. "Why me?" he whispers.

Next day afternoon Nate enters his home to grab a few clothes for today's stakeout. As soon as he's in the living room he sees a large strapping naked guy on the 4K tv getting it up his ass from another large strapping naked guy. Their hoarse moans echo in the room.

"What the fuck are you watching?" a shocked Nate asks Daisy who is lying sideways on the couch watching the movie.

"It's a romantic movie," Daisy says without moving.

"It's gay porn!"

The bottom guy on the screen has shifted from moans to full on crying out loud, wanting to be banged harder.

"For fuck's sake," Nate says, going to the coffee table and picking up the remote and turning the screen off.

"I was watching that," Daisy says, narrowing her eyes at Nate.

"Watch whatever the fuck you want once I'm gone. I'll be out in a second."

When Nate comes back out of his room with his gym bag he glances at the small lifeless like body of Daisy on the couch. Cussing himself inside, he starts to speak, "Look, about what I said yesterd—"

Daisy turns on the TV. The two naked guys having a manic sex are back on the screen.

"Fuck you!" Nate says and storms off.

Daisy smirks.

On their stakeout in the evening, Frank parks the car not too far from the Kay Doll bar. They still have a clear view of the entrance.

It's a gay bar.

"The gays are everywhere!" Nate says.

Frank looks at his friend confused.

"What's so great about two guys having sex?" Nate says.

"Are you asking me or was it rhetorical? Cuz dude even if I would do it for you, I have a mate."

Drey laughs in the backseat.

Nate wonders why he's friends with either of them.

"What do you have against the gays now?" Drey says after he's done laughing.

"It's not that," Nate says.

"There are only three things that piss you off these days," Frank says, counting in his fingers, "Failing to locate a rogue. Patrick. And a girl named after a flower."

"Why would Lily piss Nate off?" Drey asks.

Frank crushes the burger wrapper in his hand and throws it at Drey. "Not that flower, the other one!"

Nate says, "She's upset I told her to stay away from Tim because I don't want her exploiting any of my friends."

Frank says, "Perhaps you should trust Daisy a bit more. She maybe mean only to us and good to others. Lily said Daisy was a very sweet girl."

"Of course Lily would say that! She's trying to hook Daisy up with her brother!"

"Well, if you don't want Daisy then what's wron—" Frank shuts up as soon as he sees the murderous look on Nate aimed towards him. "Just kidding," Frank quickly adds.

Nate drops his glare and continues. "It's not like I'm mean to her because I want to. I also would like to sit on the beach and have a conversation like she was having with that jerk—"

"So you're mad at Tim, not Daisy?" Drey words his doubts.

"I'm mad at everyone!" Nate says. "She is driving me crazy. And what was she doing out there exposing herself to everyone when she's supposedly hiding from the Stantons? She should've at least let me know she was going to the beach. But if I tell her that she would only think of me as someone who wants to control her, when she is the one who threatened me so she could stay with me! She wanted to be with me! So why was she on the beach with him?! Why are girls so fucking confusing?!"

Frank tilts his sprite to an out-of-breath Nate. Nate snatches it and takes a sip.

"Feeling better now?" Frank says.

Nate breathes out.

Drey scoots closer to the front seats. "Just one last question. Why does that make you hate the gays?"

Nate finally snaps. "I don't fucking hate gays. I love gays!"

The trio of friends freeze when they realize a couple of guys heading to the bar heard Nate's declaration. They peeked into the window while passing their car, and one of them winked at Nate.

After they are out of sight, the friends break into laughters.

Drey says, amidst his chortle, "The gays love you, too."

After they are done laughing, Frank says, "Seriously though, you should talk to her. She's running away from her past, she's alone and doesn't know anyone here. You're the only reason she's even here. If you want her to open up to you, you need to trust her first."

Nate looks up from his car's dashboard to the bar's entrance through the windshield. At the men greeting each other as they enter. The men who are not afraid to show who they love even if the society is stacked up against them.

"You're right," Nate says, "I'll talk to her."

🗳 Please vote on chapters