#14 Whatever happened though?

Daisy is at aisle five, looking at tampons. She has been meaning to give the one in the blue packaging a try. She finds it at the top shelf and grabs a pack when she notices a group of three girls, around her age, walk into the aisle, talking to each other in loud whispers.

"Everyone thought it would be Nate," one of them said. And that caught Daisy's attention.

Daisy turns over the tampon pack in her hand and pretends to read the back of it.

The girls stop at the Shampoo and Conditioner section, not too far from Daisy.

The girl from before continues, "My dad said now that Patrick had got a head start he might even end up catching all the rogues on that list."

"That would be a huge setback for Nate," another girl says.

"Setback? Forget about the race to the title. It will be such a humiliation for Nate if that happens."

Daisy's hand involuntarily squeezes the tampons.

"Honestly, I was team Nate before this, but I'm not so sure anymore," the third girl says.

"But he's still the hottest though," the first one says and everyone giggles.

"If looks alone can get you the title, Nate would've already won," the second girl says.

"But it's not enough now is it?" the first girl says. "After all, there is a difference between an Alpha heir born from the Alpha's mate and the one born through a mistress."

Daisy is angry at the girls for talking about Nate like this, but then she remembers she also said something along the same line, that too, to Nate's face. A mistake she still hadn't gathered enough courage to apologize for.

A voice from the loudspeakers on the ceiling calls for a Sean needed in aisle two before going silent again.

The three girls return to their gossiping. "You seem to be sure Patrick will be our next Alpha," the third girl asks the first one.

The first one flips her hair to behind her shoulder and says, "Of course, Patrick will take the title. There's no doubt about it."

"If he didn't, your dad might get in trouble. After all he's a big supporter of Patrick," the second girl says.

The first girl didn't like how her friend had put it. "My dad has served our Alpha for years now. Whether it will be Patrick or Nate, neither of them are experienced. They will definitely need my dad's help if they want to be able to run the pack smoothly."

The other two girls don't buy her theory but they don't say anything.

The third girl says, "What do you reckon will happen if Patrick really becomes our Alpha? Do you think Nate will leave the pack?"

"Probably. He's full of himself and has such an ego. There's no way he'll continue to live here after losing to Patrick," the first girl says.

"Aren't you just bitter because he once rejected you?" the second girl says.

The first one looks shocked. "Oh, please. That was only because he was with Vanessa at the time."

Daisy has stopped even pretending to be reading the tampon instructions anymore and has leaned towards the girls listening to them.

The third girl says, "Whatever happened though? they were ju—"

The first girl's phone rings. She takes it, and then they all start walking.

Daisy quickly puts back the tampon pack, forgetting to add it to her cart and follows them from a distance, waiting for them to start talking again.

But the first girl's phone conversation doesn't end, even during the checkout.

Daisy sighs as she watches them leave the store.

"You going to get them?" the girl behind the counter says. Daisy starts stacking the counter with the things from her cart.

When Daisy returns home she notices Frank's car parked outside. Inside the house, Daisy first peeks into Nate's room. After seeing it empty, she then looks inside Frank's.

Frank is asleep.

Daisy goes to the kitchen, empties her shopping bag by putting away everything she bought, and then goes into her room.

She picks up her phone and pulls up Nate's number. She bites her lip and starts having a debate with herself on whether to call Nate or not.

He had been avoiding her since that day. Daisy is sure he's still upset about what she said.

While she's still trying to make up her mind she receives an email notification.

Daisy throws the phone to her side on the mattress and opens her laptop and checks her inbox.

The email is one of the stream of follow up emails she has been exchanging regarding the Mexico gig she applied for. The client is interested in working with her.

Daisy starts biting her nails. She'll definitely take this job, but is wondering if she should do it right away with everything that's happening with Nate.

On the other hand, if Daisy offers to help Nate instead, he'll only shut her down again.

Daisy marks the email important and closes the mail application. She will decide on it later. There's no hurry.

She then opens the browser and starts searching the internet for Patrick. She had only ever heard of him (as the Alpha's son).

She starts going through his social profiles and some more sites he had left his digital footprints in.

To Daisy, Patrick comes off as a typical egotistical son of an Alpha. Nothing special about him. So she wonders how he managed to catch two rogues while Nate couldn't get even one.

While reflecting, Daisy slowly nods to herself. She has decided what she has to do — She's going to look into this Patrick and see what he had done.

Even if she can't help Nate, she'll make sure at least that the fight is fair against him.

If Patrick had done something illegal to catch those rogues, Daisy will find that out and let Nate know.

That way there's also a chance that Nate might forgive her.

Daisy claps and rubs her hands together. "Alright, Patrick, let's find out what you've been up to."

Her fingers rest on the keyboard for a second and then start rapidly typing.

🗳 Vote on the chapters :)