#30 I hate you

Just as Veronica lays eyes on Daisy, she smiles wider. It's the kind of smile someone does to hide something else they are feeling except happiness.

When Veronica went to the salon to hang out with her friends, that's when she heard about Daisy. 

"He must still be not over his ex," Macey says, making her friend smile.

"There really is no one suitable for him but you," Greta adds, "Except... maybe her?"

Before Veronica could ask who, Macey says to Greta, "Yeah, but, you know she barely even comes out of the house."

"Who are you two talking about?" Veronica says.

"Frank's cousin," Macey says.

Veronica raises her shoulders and shakes her head. "What cousin?"

"Someone, from his mother's side. She is temporarily staying with him now, which happens to be the house Frank and Nate share."

"She kinda keeps it to herself," Greta says. "We've only seen her a couple of times. She was with Lily."

"She is hot," Macey says. 

The longer Veronica stares at Daisy the more upset she feels and the wider she smiles.

"Veronica!" Lily shouts from nearby Daisy. That's when Daisy really takes notice of Veronica. And the first thing that pops into Daisy's mind is that she has seen that face before.

Just as Lily, Tim and Daisy walk towards their friends on the other side, Daisy remembers the photo tucked inside one of the books in Nate's room.

Daisy drops her smile. Veronica is the girl who had her arms wrapped around Nate's in the photo.

"You're back! How's your sister?" Lily says.

"She's good. Thanks," Veronica says before turning her gaze to Daisy. "I didn't know Frank even had a cousin. My friends told me about you. You're really as pretty as they said."

"Shame I didn't hear anything about you from anyone," Daisy says.

Nate, Frank and Drey are suddenly interested in looking at anywhere on the beach but the girls.

Lily says, "Oh, she's our good friend, Veronica. We all have known each other since we were kids," then she tilts towards Daisy and loudly whispers, "She's also Nate's ex."

"Lily!" Frank says, "those drinks you said you needed to check were just delivered."

"Great, Jimmy screwed it up last time. We need to check them this time," she says.

Frank says, "Veronica, why don't you come, too? I think Sunny and Pamela are there."

Expertly, Frank takes away Lily and Veronica from the scene.

And just as soon, Drey grabs Tim. "Man, give me a hand with the logs."

After everyone is gone, Nate looks at Daisy who in turn looks indiscernible.

"Didn't know you were coming," Nate says.

"Tim invited. Couldn't say no."

Nate laughs. "You think that will work on me?"

"What exactly should I work it for?"

"You can't make me feel jealous," Nate says.

Daisy shrugs. "Good for you."

Then they both just stare at each other before Nate finally loses it, "Okay, fuck, I didn't even know she was back. And I just saw her literally only a few seconds before you did!"

"I don't know why you are explaining it to me," Daisy says.

"Drop the act, I know you're upset."

"Did I say I am upset?"

"I know you are, because I know I would be if I saw you next to some ex of yours."

"I'm not like you."

"Really? Is that why when you first moved in you kept asking if I had a girlfriend?"

"I also remember I stopped asking that when you told me it's none of my business. Since this also isn't my business, I'm gonna go," Daisy says and turns around to walk away from Nate when she feels a strong pain on her upper arm where he had grabbed her.

Angry, she faces him, "Nate!" But finds herself surprised to see two completely dark pupils staring back at her.

"Nate," she whispers. Nate presses his palm against his forehead where a ringing seems to emanate within him. He's struggling to even think.

"Fuck!" Nate says and checks his pockets while still keeping his hold on Daisy. "I don't have it. The suppressors."

"Well, where are they then?!" Daisy says.

"In my car."

Daisy looks around. No one is looking at them. She pulls Nate by her arm that's in his grip. "Come on, before someone sees us."

As they leave towards the car, Frank looks back on them to check. He notices Nate looks strange. But he can't just leave yet while his mate is in the midst of a heated argument with a couple of guys over drinks.

As soon as they are in the car, Nate takes out the strip from the console, pops out a red pill and swallows it down.

"Get a better control of it," Daisy says, getting angry at being grabbed.

Nate slams the steering wheel, startling Daisy. His mind and body is still fighting with his Alpha hormones. "A better control?" Nate says in a cold voice, "Why do you think you don't have my mark on you? If I wanted I would've had you anytime I needed."

Daisy presses her lips tight and tries not to tear up. "So what? You want me to kiss your feet for not hurting me. You power hungry monsters are all just the same," Daisy says, getting out the bitterness in her heart from having looked down like this yet again. It's not just Nate she's confronting at the moment.

"I hate you," she says and gets out of the car.

A moment later, Frank comes over to check on Nate and Daisy.

Frank sees through the window Nate resting his head on the steering wheel. Daisy is nowhere. Frank knocks on the window.

When Nate lifts his head up, Frank sees something he hasn't seen since they were little boys — tears on Nate's face.

Without exchanging words, Frank gestures Nate to move to the passenger seat. Then he gets in and drives. They drive to the Pelican Drop. 

🗳 I'm sorry they had to fight :(  But... let's go to next chapter 💕