#48 Mine

When Daisy looks at the mirror she smiles. She touches the side of her neck where his mark would soon be. She could feel it. And she feels giddy and shy like a newly engaged girl with the anticipation of her wedding.

Then the smile disappears. Speaking of weddings, she's also overwhelmed by the urge to let the world in on the truth that she and Nate are mates. Especially...

Her phones rings. It's Lily.

"Hey, you wanna come over? Tim is here," Lily says and then whispers, "I think he wants to talk."

Daisy understands. Lily's place is just down the street. Daisy ends the call, puts on her coat and starts walking.

When she enters Lily's living room, Tim is on the couch, head hanging low. Lily and Daisy exchange glances. "I'll bring you coffee," Lily says and leaves for the kitchen.

Daisy sits opposite Tim. "How are you doing?"

Tim sighs. "I don't know."

"You know, I promised Hannah I'll talk to you after everything was sorted out with the pack's Alphahood."

Tim looks up and leans back on the couch. "Yeah, Lily mentioned that. I'm sorry we're bringing you into this shit."

"Don't be. I'm more than happy to be here for you and your sister. So... did you think about it? Accepting her?"

Tim starts biting his nails. He suddenly looks like a small boy to Daisy. Lily returns with three cups of coffee, and sits next to Daisy after handing the other two their cups.

"I just..." Tim starts. "I just..."

"You're scared?" Daisy says.

Tim doesn't say anything.

Seeing him, Daisy is reminded of her time when she was scared like this. She came to this pack, following a mate who she didn't even know anything about, except for the rumors she had heard about him.

She didn't know if Nate was good, bad, kind, mean, selfless, or stubborn, anything... She didn't know if she could trust him. All she felt was a deep love for someone without even knowing what she really loved about him.

"Why don't you two just try being friends first?" Daisy says.

Tim looks up.

"Sounds like a good idea," Lily says.

Daisy says, "You don't trust her yet. Understandably. I don't think it's a good idea to make your bond permanent with her without something as basic as trusting each other. That doesn't mean you can't give her a second chance. Get to know her, not as the girl you find attractive, but the girl who could be your best friend."

"But what if it doesn't work out?"

Lily says, "You're doing fine without her now, and you'll be fine without her in the future as well."

Daisy nods. "I agree. I know it seems like there's no future for you without her. But all I see before me is a very accomplished fighter, a loyal friend and a successful member of his pack. When you lose things you love, that doesn't mean you'll love nothing else. You'll always be in love, and you'll always be loved. Just not in the way you're imagining it in your head now. So don't bother thinking about whether it'll work out or not. It's a hand of friendship, Tim. People reach that out to even enemies some days. How difficult it could be to do that for someone you care about?"

Tim puts down his mug, rubs his hands against his thighs, and bobs his head. He gets up. "You are right. I'm going to talk to her."

"Now?" Lily asks him as he nearly runs out of the house, throwing the front door close behind him.