ii. jessie's girl

"where can i find a woman like that?"ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

COLBY MARTIN ALSO HATED SCHOOL. The crowded, hot hallways that made him sweat even during the harsh months of winter and the exhausting time schedules and tests that he anxiously awaited, although he'd much rather that they get shoved to the side, like most things in his life.

It was basketball season, mid fall, meaning that Colby had something to look forward to. Other than that, it was still a normal, boring year. His junior year.

"There you are," a hand clamped onto his shoulder as Colby leaned into his locker, gathering his books. He turned to see his best friend, Jaden Lucas. Jaden had always been right by Colby's side, no matter what. The two were inseparable, and it was very rare to see one without the other.

"Hey, Jade." greeted Colby casually, running a hand through his hair. "What's up?"

"Not much." shrugged Jaden, leaning up against the locker beside Colby's. "You seen Reese anywhere?"

"God knows where she is." scoffed Colby, although he looked over his shoulder. "She's probably tutoring that moron Steve Harrington."

"Really, Martin?" said a voice from behind him, making him jump. It was, in fact, Steve "The Hair" Harrington who had approached the two boys, and he had his hands on his hips. "It's my last year here, and this is how I'm being treated?"

"Yeah." nodded Colby, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry, Harrington."

"Practice today." Steve informed him, as if Colby didn't already know. "Be there-"

"Or be square, yeah got it." Colby finished the sentence for Steve, who proceeded to walk off, most likely in search of Nancy. Colby's heart sank.

Steve and Colby were somewhat close for two reasons— one, they were teammates on the basketball team, and two, they'd both been involved in an incident the year prior. It was also how Colby figured out that he'd harbored feelings for the Wheeler girl. It was a complete accident, but nonetheless, it had happened. She'd yet to figure it out.

"Is he still with Nancy?" asked Jaden, reading Colby's mind nearly word-for-word.

"Probably." sighed Colby hopelessly. "And if not, maybe Jonathan."

"Don't lose hope yet, my dear friend." said Jaden confidently, beaming down at Colby. "There's always a shot."

"Oh, shut up..." muttered Colby, shaking his head. "It's time I got over it anyway. She's a few months older than me, and she's got a boyfriend-"

"So? It's not like she's fifteen years older than you. You're in the same grade. A couple of months isn't a big difference. And the boyfriend thing is on the rocks, anyway."

"God, you're an idiot." scoffed Colby, just as the bell rang. "Well, I'd better go. I have to get to History."

"Yeah, with Nancy." sang Jaden, and Colby had to clamp a hand over his best friend's both, blushing hard, before he ran off to class.