xi. summer of '69

"the summer seemed to last forever

"the summer seemed to last forever."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"AHOY THERE, LADIES." said Colby Martin dryly, glancing upwards at the hat that was threatening to fall over his eyes. On the other side of the counter stood two teenage girls, most likely going into their freshman year of high school. Colby couldn't care less of their opinion on him.

"Can we get two strawberries please?" said one of the girls, batting her eyes at Colby, who tried to fight the urge not to gag.

"Sure." he smiled, reaching down and getting them their request. "That's gonna be two dollars."

While handing him his change, one of the girls slipped him a note, winking at him. When he unrolled it, he realized it was a phone number. Grimacing, he threw it in the garbage can.

"Well," said a girl from behind him, and he rolled his eyes, "if you can't get a girl your own age's number, at least the fresh high schoolers want you."

"Ha, ha." he faked a smile towards Robin Buckley, who was leaning out of the back room with a large grin spread across her face. "Aren't you quite the comedic genius?"

"Oh, I try." she put a hand over her heart. "You make me blush, Colby."

Colby narrowed his eyes at her, mouthing her, trying to mock her as best he could. Truth be told, Robin and Colby got along more often than either got along with Steve, who was out on his lunch break. He should've been back at any moment, or so Colby theorized when he checked his watch.

"Hey, speaking of girlfriends," drawled Robin, holding onto the doorframe as Colby entered the back room, "how's it going with you know who?"

Of course, it didn't take long for Robin to realize that Colby had a crush on Nancy Wheeler. It wasn't like he didn't accidentally make it painfully obvious— but she was also very observant.

Taking a seat at the table, Colby placed his sailor's hat down on the counter and glared up at the girl in the matching uniform. Colby had truly wished he'd gotten to know Robin before. Years of potential friendship had been wasted, and had to be spent throughout one summer. And there was a chance that when they got back to school, that progress would be washed away.

"It's going just as I expected." he replied, although offered nothing more. That led Robin to lean beside Colby, tilting her head at him.

"Come on, tell me!" she begged, clasping her hands together. "You know I have nothing else to talk about."

"Yeah, I forgot you don't have a life." sneered Colby, shaking his head. "Anyway, I think she's dating Jonathan."