x. deck the halls

"'tis the season to be jolly

"'tis the season to be jolly."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

IT WAS A FEW DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS IN HAWKINS. Somehow, Colby found himself signed up to volunteer at the Hawkins' Middle Snowball Dance, thanks to Nancy's constant pestering. Finally, he caved, agreeing to help Mr. Clarke with tickets.

Nonetheless, he had to dress up like he was the one attending the dance. He walked into the living room to see Cassie trying to fix her hair in the hallway mirror. She, too, was attending the dance to help Nancy with punch.

"How's the ankle?" he asked, looking down at the cast around her right ankle, which Steve Harrington had accidentally broke while they were waiting for the news on Will and the gate.

"Better now." she shrugged, smiling at him. "Alright, let's go, loser. We don't have all day."

"It's night now anyway." he said sarcastically, only to be shoved in the head. "Jesus, calm down!"

They decided to take Cassie's car over to the middle school, where they parked in front of the building. Colby could see a few students filtering in, all looking excited to dance.

The siblings bid their goodbyes to one another as Colby joined Mr. Clarke at a table he'd set up near the front door. Cassie headed inside the actual gym, standing beside Nancy, who Colby immediately saw and continued to stare at. It was almost like he was mesmerized by her, ignoring his pledge of he and Nancy being "friends." She had her hair up, and she was wearing a pink dress.

"Looking very snazzy tonight, sir." said Mr. Clarke, looking up. Colby followed his gaze to see Dustin Henderson— only his hair was styled differently. Colby's jaw hung open as he realized why the hair looked so familiar; it was Steve Harrington's signature style. In fact, looking out to the parking lot, Colby could see Steve sitting in his car in front of the school. He was grinning at Dustin.

"Thank you, my lord." returned Dustin with a bright smile. He put his ticket in the box. "Do you like the new hair?"

"Oh, absolutely." Colby answered for Mr. Clarke. "Please tell me where you got your style tips?"

"A friend." shrugged Dustin, grinning to himself. "You might know him... although you probably don't."

Colby hummed, smiling at Dustin. "Oh, I'm sure I don't."

Dustin saluted Colby as he headed inside to the dance. Colby grinned after his friend before turning back and looking out the window. Steve was long gone. Colby somewhat wished he'd stuck around.

"Hey, I don't think there's that many people coming in anymore." said Mr. Clarke kindly, smiling at Colby. "If you wanna head in there. I'm pretty sure a few kids from your school are there..."