xiv. my perogative

"why don't they just let me live?"ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

COLBY AND ROBIN WERE STANDING BY THE WINDOW. The boy tried to ignore the continuous, and frankly, annoying, ringing of the bell, but he finally decided to turn around. Erica Sinclair was standing with her entire posse, staring at him with a smirk.

"Hey, Erica." he greeted with a forced smile. "How can I help you?"

"Hey, Colby." she reciprocated, looking past him at Robin with narrowed eyes. "I wonder wondering if I could get a sample of the peanut butter chocolate swirl, please?"

"No," spoke up Robin from behind Colby, coming up beside him. "You cannot. No more samples today."

"Why not?" snapped Erica, seemingly taken aback.

"Because you're abusing our company policy." she explained calmly.

"Colby, back me up!" ordered Erica, frowning in Robin's direction. When Colby shook his head, fearful of the glare coming from Robin, Erica groaned. "Where's the other sailor man?"

"Sorry, he can't help you." grinned Robin, leaning back against the back counter. "He's busy."

"Busy with what?" demanded Erica. Her friends looked at each other in confusion.

"Spy craft." said Robin mysteriously, and Erica floundered at the explanation, before huffing and turning away from the two sailors and leaving Scoop's Ahoy with her friends behind her. Confidently, Robin and Colby gave each other a high-five.

"Wanna help me with translation?" she asked, shifting the book over so Colby could look at it. She pulled her Walkman over her ears again.

"You know, honestly, I'm more interesting in serving ice cream." he said, and Robin shoved him away from her, rolling her eyes.

Colby wondered how he got stuck with her while the others got to go on a spy mission. Cassie was at home calling off work, and would arrive later, but at that moment, it was just Colby and Robin.

Thunder crackled outside, and Colby listened calmly. He liked the rain. He knew a lot of others didn't, but it always calmed him down no matter the situation. Of course, the occasional cracks of thunder that sounded only a few yards away made him jump (and made Robin laugh at him).

Everyone in the restaurant began to filter out, wanting to get home before the storm got even worse. There were some teens younger than Colby, too, so Colby imagined them having to bike home in the rain. It sounded like a nightmare to him.