xxii. for whom the bell tolls

"men of five, still alive through the raging glow

"men of five, still alive through the raging glow."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

COLBY MARTIN WAS AWOKEN BY SOMEONE VIOLENTLY SHAKING HIM. When he slowly opened his eyes, he saw Nancy leaning above him. She looked nervous.

"Good morning," yawned Colby, rubbing his eyes. His eyes shot open when he saw Dustin's head lean over him, and Colby quickly sat up.

"Oh, I was having a nice morning." Colby spat at Dustin, who grinned knowingly.

"Oh, is that because you saw Nancy first-?"

"Hey!" Nancy warned, glaring at Dustin. She turned back to Colby. "He," she stabbed a finger in Dustin's face, "was supposed to be watching Max. She's gone."

Colby looked around blankly for a second. "You know who else is gone? Josh. He's probably been on Max Watch all night."

They stormed upstairs into the kitchen, only to see Max and Josh sitting at the kitchen table. Josh was looking over Holly's shoulder. She was the youngest Wheeler, and Colby thought she was extremely sweet.

"Good morning," gushed Mrs. Wheeler, holding a plate of pancakes and offering it out to Colby, "it's been a while since you've visited. It's nice to finally see you in person now that you and Nancy are-"

"Mom!" scolded Nancy, grabbing Colby's arm and pulling him over to the table.

"I'm not too hungry, thank you though, Mrs. Wheeler." beamed Colby, talking over his shoulder as he sat down beside Josh. "How long have you been awake for?"

"Uh..." he looked down at his watch. "I don't think I..." he looked over at Max, who still had her headphones over her ears, "I don't think I ever fell asleep."

Max pulled her headphones over her ears as she noticed the new people sitting next to her. "Hey."

"Hey." greeted Nancy, smiling almost forcefully as she leaned on the table. "You okay?"

"Just couldn't sleep. People kept blasting music in my ears for some reason." Max joked, then looked over at Josh. "There was also a strange boy watching me all night."

"Strange, huh?" Josh repeated, still staring at the toy that Holly was playing with.

"But, Holly let me borrow some of her crayons," Max picked one up to show them. "We've been having a fun morning, right, Holly?"

Holly hummed in response. She tapped Josh and Colby's shoulders. "Watch this!" Holly wrote out "HI" on the board, beaming at the two boys beside her.