xxviii. should i stay or should i go

"so, if you want me off your back

"so, if you want me off your back..."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

COLBY MARTIN WAS A REJECT. He was a nerd, a loser, an idiot. However, no one else really saw how weird he was.

Colby was obsessed with acceptance. He felt the need to be respected. He wanted friends, he wanted girls to pine over him, and he wanted popularity. His ticket to popularity? Steve "The Hair" Harrington.

Steve was a douchebag, and so was Colby Martin. Neither boy could deny it, although Colby's older sister Cassie feverishly tried to for the sake of her brother.

It was November 4, 1983. Another normal day for Colby— a bland day. Or at least, that's what he believed as he strode into the hallways of Hawkins High. It was a Tuesday.

"Hey!" exclaimed someone, shaking Colby's shoulders roughly. He turned around to see Steve Harrington, wearing the preppiest outfit Colby had ever seen in his entire life.

"What the hell are you wearing?" demanded Colby, frowning at Steve's appearance. "I'm practically throwing up in my mouth."

"Yeah, thanks." Steve rolled his eyes, running a hand through his long, thick hair. "Anyway, isn't your locker near Nancy's?"

Nancy Wheeler. Colby knew Nancy. She was a very pretty girl, and Steve was right; their lockers were right beside one another. It gave Colby the opportunity to talk to her for thirty seconds in between second period and third period and fifth period and sixth period. She smiled kindly at him every time, and he couldn't help but notice how brightly her eyes sparkled when she did so.

"Yeah, Steve." scoffed Colby, shrugging his backpack higher up on his shoulder. "We've been over this at least twelve times since you started seeing her."

It was a hallway crush.

Colby approached his locker, putting in the combination before swinging it open. Loudly, it clashed with the locker to the left of his. He winced, hoping the owner hadn't seen him.

"Okay, so," Steve enunciated cheerfully. He played nervously with the threads in his shirt. "You'll put this in here so I can sneak over before anyone else gets here?"

Colby accepted the letter from Steve, squinting down at it. Steve had horrible handwriting. The letter was extremely crumpled up. Colby looked back up at Steve disapprovingly.

"Sure." he grumbled, rolling his eyes. "But just this once."

"And every time before!" called out Steve with a grin before running down the hall towards the girls' bathroom.