Chapter 7: The Vow

After knowing all from James. Charles just quietly left the house. Nick banged him and just threw him anywhere he could. James got injured. Nick brought the first aid and treated him too. He said, “Just stay away from my buddy or next time you will be in the hospital.

Next day in University, Nick and Charles informed everything to Prof. Miller. Miller told both of them, “See my boys, you both are young and childhood pals, I don’t want any of you to be sad. Don’t be upset. May you have someone better in life. So, just concentrate on your work. The exams are near”

Nick and Charles worked normally as they use to. Nick use to keep Charles happy any way he could. Year passed. The summer vacation was near. Charles will to go Cartmel to sell the house. He went there on due time. He met Mr. Wool but didn’t got good response about the house. Wool told him, “Please abit time more” Charles gave him ultimatum saying, “Okay fine then,  Call me anytime this year I’ll come” Charles left back to London.

One day during rainy season Mr. Wool called him up. He had got a news for him. Charles reached the next day after he got informed. Charles didn’t told anything to Nicholas or Miller. He just took a leave for one day. He met Wool in the morning. Wool suggested, “I though to give this house to James Browning who want to settle here” hearing the name Charles got annoyed but didn’t expressed. He said, “Do anything you feel like I don’t care” by saying he left ad went back to the Vacation house. He arranged every staff he need. He left, he was in the middle of his way, it was already dark as the weather was  not good.

A car crashed just a few feets away from him. Charles got startled. Suddenly the rain started. He left his staff and reached at the spot. What he found that breaked him totally. He pulled open the door of the car. He checked James, he was already dead at the spot. He ran on the other side. He pulled the door, it’s Mileva, he pulled her out but she too was no more. At the middle of the road Charles hold her tight and was crying badly, she was on his chest. At the moment he heard a child crying. He put Mileva down and looked around. At the back seat of the car there a child he must be one year old.

Charles brought that child out. It was crying. He tried to calm the child. He then ran to the nearby hospital. He called up the doctor who treated the child. The doctor said, “He is fine, he just got afraid” Charles informed the police about the accident and to the doctor. The police handled everything. Charles was wet in the rain. He sat at the bench of the hospital. The nurse asked, “Sir, who are you of that child?” Charles couldn’t utter a word. He was totally shocked at what happened. The nurse again asked him the same. Charles asked, “Can I make a call?” the nurse agreed. Charles called in Mileva’s home. Her sister picked the call. He told her to come to the hospital. Valentina came.

Meeting Charles and knowing all Valentina told him annoyingly, “Listen Mister, I won’t keep that mean child, thought its my sisters but still I don’t want to keep him” Charles said, “Why? Why ? Have you gone out of your mind? It’s a little child and you are treating him as if its none of yours” Valentina told, “Keep him if you feel so pity, he is none of us. I don’t wanted Mileva to marry that bastard James but she did, we all except father had broked every relation with her” Charles asked, “Why not her father?” Valentina told, “James literally paid one lakh pound to get her” hearing it Charles fall on the floor.

Valentina left.Charles revived the bodies of James and Mileva, he buried them at the churchyard and performed the funeral ritual. He took the child. He found the child have her eyes, he vowed, “I will keep you with me. I’ll never let you down. You are mine” by saying he hugged him and kissed him on his forehead.