Chapter 10

Harry only had one issue with putting on the robes, and that was the wings. They definitely didn't fit into the robes no matter how loose they were, and it's not like Harry was going to cut holes in the back for them.

"Uh, Ma- um, Draco," Harry fumbled over his words slightly as he opened the door a crack, just enough to see a glimpse of Draco's hair that was always perfect, but in the warm lighting of the hall, and against the wooden walls it looked almost too perfect and soft, but it also looked paler than it did in Hogwarts.

"Yeah? Something wrong?" Dra o asked, realising the fact that the door wasn't open enough to really see in meaning that Harry wasn't dressed yet.

"Um, how to I put this on over my wings?" Harry asked, his cheeks burning.

"Are you decent? It's harder to explain through the door. If you're not then can you at least get basically decent?" Draco met the small section of Harry's eye through the door, his eyes were so green.

"Um, yeah, you can come in." Harry said, raising the towel slightly to hide the scars and bruises he still had before opening the door more to let Draco come in.

"Okay, honestly most people learn the basics before they get their inheritances, but not everyone and there's no helping this. Sit on the bed with your back to me. Sorry, my hands might be cold." Draco said, walking over to the bed with Harry, who did as he was told.

When they were sitting and comfortable, Draco put his hand on Harry's back, between the two wings. True to Draco's warning, Harry tensed at the sudden shock of Draco's cold hands on his back, that was warm from the hot shower. Since they came through, Harry's wings were very sensitive, the same with the skin around it, so Harry was even more tense than he would usually be with someone behind him touching his bare skin.

"Sorry," Draco smiled awkwardly even though Harry couldn't see him. "Now, you can feel the flow of magic around your wings? They should be more concentrated around where my hand is."

"I can feel it, I think." Harry was pretty good at feeling magic, though the magic he usually sensed was around him rather than within him. He could only now guess what that felt like as it wasn't swirling all over him, now he had been at least a little treated.

"Okay, great, you should be able to feel the flow from where my hand is to your wings before going to the rest of your body." Draco continued, Harry's magic was strong, strong enough that even Draco could feel it through Harry's back, though that may also be connected to them being mates.

"I can feel that." Harry said after a moment where he focused on the flow of his magic as much as he could, to see if he could feel it like that.

"Okay, so without stopping it from flowing, pull the magic in your wings in towards you until it's inside your skin." Draco said, removing his hand from Harry's back.

Harry cringed slightly at Draco's description of where Harry should pull his magic to, before taking a deep breath and trying to do as he was told. Harry gasped as he felt a shock of pain through his back as he tried to pull the magic in. It felt like a shot of lightning had shot through him, his back more than anything.

"Okay, Harry, let your magic back out." Draco said with a sense of urgency as he saw how Harry was breathing shallowly from the pain.

Harry did as Draco told him, the pain subsiding, but a low, dull ache that he could ignore with ease from experience replaced it. Harry was still gasping at his body's memory of the intense pain, finally aware of the dampness of his eyes.

"Your wings got smaller, so you started off right, but you went a little too quickly, so you ended up cutting off the magic supply to your wings. They're primarily magic, although they do still have non-magic parts. As such if you just cut off the magic then you get left with rather raw body parts and it hurts more the longer you leave it." Draco explained rubbing Harry's back gently as Harry tried to get his breathing back under control.

"Sorry." Harry mumbled when he felt better.

"It's nothing that you need to apologise for. If you don't know what you're doing it's difficult to learn." Draco reassured, his eyes on Harry's hair, that was still damp, but looked soft, and was in loose curls. Draco hoped Harry would let him play with it some time. "Let me know if you want me to find something you can wear with your wings."

"No, it's fine, I'll try again. I just need to go more slowly, right?" Harry said, his breathing finally under control as he dried his eyes.

"Okay, don't push yourself too much, you're not fully recovered yet, and there are some clothes that can be worn with wings, or we can cut them." Draco was worried about Harry, but his creature wasn't too stressed out at the moment, so Harry at least wasn't letting himself get too hurt.

"I'm fine." Harry said, looking over his shoulder with a wonky smile.

Harry took a deep breath, turning to look back in front of him, and tried again. This time he went much slower, his cheeks flushing as he held his breath in concentration. It felt achingly and annoyingly slow as he slowly pulled the magic into him.

"Okay, you can stop pulling your magic in now." Draco said once Harry's wings were no longer visible as even bumps on Harry's back.

"Thanks, will it always take this long?" Harry said, standing up and stretching grabbing the clothes again.

"No, you'll get used to it and eventually will be able to do it instinctually. If you ever feel that pain again though, just let your magic out again before trying again." Draco said, getting up and going to the door again. "See you soon."

"Yeah, thanks." Harry said, waving slightly as the door closed.

Once it was closed he took the towel off and hurried to put the robes on. Getting his wings to disappear took longer than he thought it would if it was possible to, and he was staying at someone else's house and they wanted him to come down for brunch as soon as possible, so Harry hurried to put the robes on.

Harry was right, they were pretty much dress robes, though they were rather more comfortable than the ones Harry had. Harry looked at himself in the mirror for a moment, the robes were far too fancy and rich for Harry, but they were what he had and he couldn't delay any longer.

"I'm done." Harry said, opening the door.