Chapter 16

It was odd for Harry to go out with the Malfoys, He wasn't fully recovered yet, meaning Draco was frustrated this trip was even happening, but it was only a week until the start of Hogwarts, and Harry needed a wand, something that can only be done in person. Harry still wasn't happy with them,. After they tried to suggest that he, Harry James Potter, who was orphaned by Voldemort, whose own last name and face were just reminders of the possible future that was lost. 

Voldemort will let Harry and Draco be free if he agrees to join? Harry had been fighting Voldemort since he was 11, and Voldemort was clearly not someone forgiving. Besides, they were just telling Harry to get chummy with the people who murdered those Harry cared about more than his own life. Since that night Harry had researched the Unbreakable Vow, they could go against it, though they would die. How was their request any different from what they could do to Draco? 

But at the same time, Harry hated those thoughts; he and Draco were mates, and he didn't need his elven side to tell him that wishing such suffering on the person he would spend the rest of his life with, between which there should be love, was wrong. 

"Potter," Lucius called out to the boy for a second time, Harry only now starting to pay attention. 

"Sorry, what?" Harry shook his head, trying to shake the thoughts out of his head, though, like usual, it didn't work. 

"We're getting a custom wand for you, your input is required." Lucius' tone had no bite, but Harry's nerves didn't need there to be any to be on edge. 

"Mr Potter, please have a look at these designs, they won't have much to do with the magical capability of the wand, but the design of your wand should be one you like." The wandmaker, not Olivander for some reason Harry presumed the Malfoys had mentioned while he wasn't talking. 

Harry walked over to look at the book which contained many different designs. Some were almost perfectly straight and smooth, and others looked like a twig just pulled from a tree. There were two that Harry felt close to, one which had a flowering vine twisting along the length, the flowers having small blue stones in the centre. The other one had a snake flowing from the end of the wand to the handle, hooking just underneath the base, the snake having a slight green hue. 

"You look like you're dithering, what's up?" Draco asked from just behind Harry's shoulder, making him jump. 

"There are two designs that I like, I'm just trying to decide." Harry's head was spinning slightly with Draco being so close. They still weren't talking, and Harry's creature was trying to forcibly take control to do what Draco and his parents asked. Draco being close made it harder for Harry to fight that. 

"Hey," Draco turned to the wandmaker. "You can fuse designs, right?" 

"Provided they're designs in the book. I can't give you a picture of what it will look like either, so it will be a little more risky for you." The wandmaker nodded, rubbing their hands with an old piece of cloth. 

"Could I have a fusion of these two designs?" Harry's voice was quiet as he pointed at the two that he liked. 

"Sure, I will need you to infuse the blue stones with magic before I start to make it easier to use them in the future. Now it's time for you to choose the wood. Well, I say you choose it, your magic will do all the deciding." The wandmaker took the book and led Harry to the back of the shop. "Close your eyes and release your magic, I'll know what the right wood for you is." 

Harry did as he was told, it was easier to control the elven side of him when Draco was standing further away, at the door to the back, just close enough to keep an eye on the situation. As Harry let his magic out, it almost felt like there was a buzzing coming from somewhere to his left. The sound seemed to be filling his nose with the scent of the Burrow and the blue flowers from the space he could speak to his creature.