Chapter 13

"Charlie," Molly's voice was rather firm. "You know you have a dragon around your neck, right?"

"Yes, mum," Charlie rolled his eyes affectionately at his mother. "Mauve lost her mother and needs body heat, she has chosen me as her surrogate mother for the time being."

Charlie tickled under the chin of the small, red dragon. She picked up her head and yawned at Charlie, before wrapping her tail more securely around his neck as she buried her head in his neck protector.

"Are you sure that's safe?" Arthur cringed seeing the dragon pass through the protective clothing they all had to wear.

"Yeah, this species is pretty harmless at all stages, they can't breathe any fire until they're 50 and their talons don't develop toxins until they're 10." Charlie took one of her feet and showed his parents hot her talons were perfectly white. "She'll be too big for this way before she gets dangerous."

"I don't think harmless and toxins should be in the same sentence." George shook his head at his older brother, who seemed to put all common sense aside when it came to dragons.

"Eh, they're not enough to kill, the most they will do is make you a little dizzy for a few hours. I've been scratched enough to be sure." Charlie laughed.

Fred was distracted from the conversation, focused on the man sitting on a rock by the young dragons. He wasn't wearing any of the protective clothing they were. He hand long, black hair that shone in the sunlight. He was too far away for Fred to see him properly, but he thought this mystery person looked very like Harry did.

"Charlie, who's that?" Fred pointed to the man, feeling a pull towards him. From what his parents described, he was pretty sure that person was his mate, the pull not very strong due to the preventative potions.

"Hm? Oh. Sorry, I'll be right back." Charlie looked over his shoulder before running off to the man.

"Why can they get away with not wearing this stuff?" George complained, pulling the neck protector away. "It's too hot. Why were you interested?"

"That's my mate." Fred said quietly, cheeks warm as he covered his mouth with his hands, eyes wide and sparkling.

"Seriously?" George peered at his twin's excited face, knowing it wasn't a joke. "Congrats. At least let Charlie know before we leave."

Contrary to what they expected, the man followed Charlie back to the group. As he got closer Fred felt the bond getting stronger, he could also see the man more closely. He was tall, a little taller than Charlie, and had slight curls in his long, black hair that looked messy and a little dirty, though it was extremely dusty here. His eyes were a deep green, just like Harry's. He looked tired though, and not very well put together.

"Everyone, this is Killian Michelle. Killian, these are my family." Charlie introduced the two.

Fred and Killian's eyes met, and for a moment the two of them felt like they were the only people in the world. Killian truly was beautiful, as messy as he looked.

Fred snapped out of it as George nudged his shoulder, giving him a look. That's when he realised that they had all been introducing themselves.

"Ah, sorry, I'm Fred." He scratched the back of his head and looked at his feet, not wanting to zone out again.

"Nice to meet you, Fred." Killian smiled brightly, but Fred obviously couldn't see.

Charlie rolled his eyes as he and George pushed the two of them together. "Seriously. Killian, please give Fred a tour, Fred, please make sure Killian gets plenty of air."

"So what's the situation with Killian?" Molly watched the two 17 year olds waking away with each other, looking a little shy.

"He lives just over from the sanctuary, with the dragon shifters. He isn't one, but his sister is mated to one. Poor kid has had a really rough time." Charlie looked over the two of them a little sadly, he had already seen Killian as his younger brother, it was nice to see him become part of the family. "He's an elf, but his elven side is easy for him to control."