Chapter 11

"Harry!!" Ron yelled as he burst through the door to Harry's new room, Hermione hot on his tail.

Harry was in bed, reading a book. He was still wearing Draco's old clothes as they hadn't gone shopping yet, so he was still in green. His room was next to Draco's, and other than the furniture the only thing in it was Harry's suitcase. Lucius and Draco had taken all of the clothes the Dursleys had ever given him to dispose of. The plain room was rather beige, but he and Draco were going through colours to paint it, as they refused to send him back to the Dursleys. His covers were silver.

"Ron, Hermione." Harry's face lit up as he saw them, Hedwig on Hermione's shoulder until she saw him, when she flew to his shoulder.

"Harry! What's going on, why are you with the Malfoys?" Hermione rushed over to his bed, smaller than Draco's but still oversized, her eyes wide.

"Uh, do either of you know about creature inheritances?" Harry avoided their gazes, instead turning to Hedwig.

"Yeah, powerful witches and wizards from old families will go through a creature inheritance when they turn 16 or if it's needed for safety. It makes their magic more powerful and it ties them to their soulmate, it sounds so romantic." Hermione's eyes were glistening with wistfulness as she explained.

"It's really not that romantic." Ron shook his head, approaching Harry slowly. "If it's a creature and a non-creature then the creature usually becomes extremely obsessive and it will often fall into the realm of abuse while the creature thinks they're protecting their mate. It's also not much better between two creatures, though it depends on what creatures there are. Who has the inheritance?"

"Both of us. Draco is a veela, I'm a dark elf. I have wings though." Harry had to admit he had never heard of an elf with wings, but he had never been allowed around fairy tales, and the only elves he knew in the wizarding world were house elves.

"Harry, be really, really careful." Ron's voice was more serious than usual. "Veelas tend to be more aggressive and have a stronger desire to 'protect' their mate. This usually ends up restricting the other person. Their charm also responds differently with a mate compared to others. It might have no effect, or it might be a million times stronger. All elves tend to try to alter themselves to be preferred by the people around them, but dark elves usually don't even realise. They take on physical traits of their mate too, which is why you have wings."

"But if I don't know that opinions I have are coming from Draco, what should I do?" Harry really didn't want to end up as a puppet. Tool? Sure, he had at least a little freedom, but he didn't want to become Draco 2.0.

"Keep a diary? Note down your opinion on as many things as possible and see how they change. Drastic changes are likely due to being a dark elf. I think there are also spells that can help to stop it, but I can't remember where I saw that."

"I'll look for it!" Hermione interjected, looking worried for Harry, but excited about the idea of research.

"I'm sorry, by the way." Ron looked down at his hands.

"Why?" Harry asked with furrowed brows.

"Well, like I said, elves tend to take on the opinions people around them. You know, it was only after Malfoy and I argued that you rejected his offer of friendship. And I kept talking about how bad Slytherin is. It definitely affected your opinion." Ron looked ashamed of himself.

"It's not your fault, Ron. Draco was rude to you and I already felt badly about Slytherin because of what Hagrid told me." Harry grinned.

"But, Harry, it's the afternoon, why are you still in bed?" Hermione finally asked, looking at the clock in Harry's room.

"My inheritance was blocked so my magic was trying to deal with everything, now it's unblocked and I am around my mate it's doing more internally and is making me drowsy because it assumes that my mate will protect me. I have been put on bed rest unless I'm with Draco until I stop randomly passing out." Harry rolled his eyes, avoiding talking about his injuries that were causing his magic to drain his energy so quickly. He was honestly a lot more anxious about his condition than he was trying to let on, and he wasn't quite ready to admit that Draco was his mate.

"Who blocked your inheritance?" Ron looked concerned.

Sure, the Weasleys all took a potion when they turned 10 to prevent a proper inheritance coming through, stopping the mate bond if it's undesired consciously, stopping the creature form, and creature instincts, but that clearly wasn't what Harry was describing. For one that potion would only work if the taker understood what it meant and was willingly taking it, at times it might let a creature form through, but in general it worked perfectly. For another Harry would remember taking it, and it wasn't described as "blocked" but "prevented".

"I don't know. Apparently they have suspicions, but they don't want to tell me until they have proof." Harry's face was set, he did not like being kept in the dark, it usually came with terrible consequences. Last time it resulted in Sirius's death.

"Maybe you should ask Dumbledore?" Hermione suggested. "He knows everything that happens at Hogwarts."

Harry looked away, he still hadn't forgiven Dumbledore for abandoning them, or for locking Sirius up in Grimmauld Place for so long. It's not even like he couldn't go out as a dog, only members of the Order knew he was an animagus, that was the whole reason he was even able to meet Harry. While horrible, the days he spent working and the nights he was sold were better than now in many ways. He was too busy or high to think about Sirius or Cedric, the people he had killed. He also thought about the DA who came with him, and how he had caused them to be so badly injured. Honestly he was surprised that Ron and Hermione still wanted to speak to him, he wouldn't have blamed them if they didn't.

"Hermione." Ron hissed, giving her a meaningful look.

"Sorry."

"You didn't do anything." Harry leaned back on the many pillows, seeming defeated as Hedwig hopped on his chest and started playing with his hair using her beak.

"We're here, you know?" Ron put his hand over Harry's, his eyes worried.

"Yeah, thanks." Harry gave Ron a half smile.

((A/N: Hello! Sorry this update took so long, I started working on a one shot that is now longer than a typical novel and is still going, and then because of how my Wattpad loads I completely forgot this existed. Honestly I probably need to rewrite this eventually; fix the timeline, grammar, spelling, etc, but for now I'm going to keep going. So, I have a question:

How angsty do you want this?

All the angst you can stuff in

Some angst

Please focus on fluff and healing, there's enough angst.

All dogs are puppies, right?))