Chapter 7

MIA

I gazed into the bathroom mirror as I splashed my face with freezing cold water in an attempt to calm myself down. Taking deep breaths, I used a towel to pat my face dry, glaring at the few blemishes that appeared on my skin, most likely from stress.

I furrowed my brows as a knock came from the other side of my bedroom door, and I panicked, not wanting Lorenzo to see me in this state.

"Mia, it's Lily! I was sent to bring you some more clothes. Can I please come in?"

I breathed a sigh of relief once I heard her voice, quickly opening up the door and holding it for Lily, shutting it after she'd entered.

"Okay," spoke Lily, holding up the clothes to me that she had draped over both of her arms. "I have no idea what you like, so I just brought a bunch of stuff for you to choose from, and once you're feeling better we can go out and buy you some of your own stuff."

Cocking my head, I chewed on my bottom lip. "Um, I don't have any money."

Lily laughed, shaking her head. "Mia, that doesn't matter. Lorenzo has plenty of money."

I clamped my mouth shut, unsure of what to say, not wanting to come across as ungrateful. Lorenzo didn't need to buy me anything.

I didn't want him wasting any of his hard earned money on me, especially since I didn't plan on sticking around for much longer.

"Anyway, which top do you prefer?" asked Lily, passing me an overwhelming amount of clothes, causing my eyes to widen.

"They all look nice, thank you," I said quietly, forcing a smile, gazing at Lily as she huffed, rolling her eyes at me.

"You don't have to pretend to like them all just to make me happy. You're not going to upset me. Be truthful, do you like this one?" She said, pinching one of the items from my arms, holding it up.

I scrunched up my nose, not enjoying the bright pattern and lack of fabric.

"Okay, so that's a no," chuckled Lily. "See? Now we're getting somewhere."

Sighing heavily, I quickly let Lily know which clothes I did and didn't like, settling on a few basic tops and leggings, the outfits looking extremely uninspiring.

"I guess these are going to be good for now. As I said, we can go out and get you some stuff when Lorenzo says it's okay."

I nodded, my mind trailing back to a shirtless Lorenzo standing tall above the young woman from earlier. The scene caused my stomach to flip, a wave of nausea washing over me.

"Mia?" questioned Lily, raising her brows at me. "Are you okay? You look a little pale."

"I'm fine," I muttered, swallowing harshly, my heavy breathing beginning to take a hold of me, my chest tightening.

"Mia, what's wrong?" worried Lily, holding her hands out to me.

"I-I...I don't know," I whispered, shaking my head at myself.

Suddenly, everything came crashing down all at once.

I was just some poor vulnerable girl to Lorenzo, and the place where I had once lived had been destroyed according to him, meaning my parents were no longer there.