Chapter 39

MIA

The journey was foggy as I slipped in and out of consciousness repeatedly, my limbs still limp and floppy, my head pounding. After attempting to move my muscles multiple times, I eventually gave up, realising I was wasting valuable energy trying to escape. Ophelia still had her spell cast upon me, and I wouldn't be able to move until she revoked it.

Tears continued to drip down onto the forest floor, some soaking the back of Ophelia's thin cotton shirt, and I could tell that she knew I was crying. Her back would tense up whenever she heard me sniff, snot leaking from my nose. She was growing increasingly agitated by me.

The look on Martina's face was haunting. She was so frightened for me, and I could see that she was doing everything in her power to fight the pain that Ophelia had apposed upon her. She became increasingly furious as she failed to push herself up off the ground multiple times.

I was still in shock over what Caspian had done. He had been working with Ophelia, but for how long? Was it all a complete lie? We had grown close, and I had opened myself up to him, something I now felt like an idiot for doing.

I had been fooled by him, his demeanour so convincing and caring, even Lorenzo hadn't suspected a thing. But, he had turned me in, having struck a deal with the witch.

I wanted to ask Ophelia what it was, but I knew better. She wouldn't tell me, and sticking my nose in would most likely only cause myself more harm. I didn't want to anger her anymore.

The only thing keeping me going was knowing that Lorenzo was still alive, Ophelia telling me I would see him soon, and although I knew it wouldn't be in good circumstances, I didn't care. I just wanted to see for myself that he was alive. Then, I could somewhat relax.

Ophelia had been walking with me over her shoulder for hours, the forest going by in a blur, and I gathered that she was using some spell in order to move faster, her body showing little sign of tiring. Not a bead of sweat tricked down her back, which surprised me slightly.

I gave up trying to imprint pictures with my mind of the surrounding forest, realising that it all looked the same and if I were to escape, I would have no clue which direction to head in. It was pointless.

Suddenly, the breath in my lungs was forced out of me, and I landed on the ground with a thump, winded. I clutched at my chest as I attempted to take steady breaths, my diaphragm spasming.

"We're here," Ophelia stated, and I craned my neck, realising we had reached an opening in the forest, and a large broken down looking warehouse was posed above me. The brick was crumbling and the window frames hung off by the corners, making me shiver.

I was sure that a sudden gust of wind would send them flying, and I noticed that a few of them were actually missing, indicating that it had already happened, the weather finishing victorious.

Grabbing my by the back of the neck, Ophelia forced me up, and I attempted to move my legs, fully expecting them to wobble and crumble under my weight. However, they didn't, and I looked at Ophelia with dark eyes, causing her to grimace at me.

"You shouldn't feel any pain anymore. The spell is gone," she said, and I stretched out my arms. She was right. I felt as good as new, just a little tired and drained, but the searing pain I had previously felt was gone. "If you try and run, I will cast more pain upon you than even imaginable. Your heart will feel as though it is slowly bursting, and it won't stop."