Chapter 65

MIA

Lorenzo moved to the far corner of the room, mumbling huskily into his phone, trying his best to keep his voice down in case anyone heard. I couldn't make out what he was saying over the loud talking from Martina and Lily, but I remained glued to my seat after Heidi quickly left the room, clutching her papers in hand.

She had come in just to tip us off that it looked as if Ophelia wasn't going to be being sentenced to death, disappointment and fear spiralling through the room, and I could tell that everyone was pissed. The witches were biased towards their own though, and this was something we should have been expecting.

Lorenzo's conversation lasted a good twenty minutes, Lily and Martina having to speak constantly in an attempt to drown him out in case anyone was listening. I doubted that the witches could hear though. I barely could.

Martina nodded a few times for me to join in the conversation too, and I added a few sentences here and there, wanting it to seem casual. We spoke about generic crap- girly things that we hoped would bore the guard outside to the point where he would pay no attention to what was going on at all.

Lily had already scoped around the room for cameras, and it appeared that there weren't any, but we knew that they could be hidden. Lorenzo was taking a risk calling somebody.

He eventually ended his conversation, shoving his phone into his back pocket and grumbling to himself, not looking overly happy. I couldn't ask him what was wrong though. We couldn't risk anyone hearing us conversate about what he had done.

I wondered if he was just letting the pack know that we were going to need to come up with some sort of plan for when Ophelia was released from prison, but I didn't understand why that conversation couldn't wait.

Lorenzo sat next to me, taking my hand in his and holding it on his lap. I gazed at him, but he kept his eyes glued forwards, his jaw tense. I could tell that he was internally freaking out and I didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

Lily and Martina continued talking, but eventually allowed their conversation to naturally die out until all of us were sitting in silence, staring at the clock, waiting.

I was unsure how long we sat in the room, but my throat was beginning to feel scratchy when I swallowed, and I gazed over at the water bottles on the table longingly. I wanted to drink from one, but I knew it wouldn't be a smart idea. We had no clue if the witches had done something to them. The likelihood was that they hadn't, but there was still a slight chance that this was all a set up.

Eventually, someone knocked on our door, and we all jumped up from our seats, Heidi and the guard poking their head around the corner.

"The trial is re-starting," Heidi spoke, keeping her face blank, acting as if nothing had happened earlier in front of the guard.

He nodded at us as we exited, and I took a deep breath to see the witches take their seats again. All of them stared at us as we made our way back up to the front, sitting down again, spotting Ophelia to our right on the other side of the judge.

She looked relaxed, leaning back in her chair with her legs crossed, and I felt rage waver through me at the sight of her so calm.

She deserved a death sentence for what she had put us through, but, she wasn't going to get it and the fact irked me.

"I have spent the past couple of hours speaking with the board, and we have reached our verdict," the judge spoke, rising from her chair, looking down at her piece of paper.

Lorenzo bounced his leg next to me, and I placed my hand on it to stop him from doing so, offering him a small reassuring smile. No matter the outcome of the trial, we would still have each other.