Chapter 12

MIA

Pain pulsated throughout my body as I dashed through the forest, leaping over tree stumps and streams, occasionally losing my footing and landing in a heap on the floor. Leaves and twigs attached themselves onto my sopping wet hair, poking into my skin painfully.

I panted heavily, turning the corner as quickly as I could, continuing to attempt to shift into my wolf, but failing miserably. I cried out in frustration at myself, frantically flicking my head from side to side, attempting to make out any shapes or shadows from my pursuer.

"What do you want?!" I wailed out, tears streaming down my face, the sound of the rain beating down on the ground echoing throughout the forest. Thunder crashed ferociously above me, the lightning flashing through the sky for a split second.

I cried as I gained no response, whipping myself around to continue running, but I stumbled backwards after seeing a tall intimidating form towering above me.

"Who are you?" I whispered in fear, my voice cracking.

I gasped as the man continued to stalk towards me, his body coming into view as he stepped out from under the closely compacted trees. The light from the moon gleamed across his blood covered face, causing me to gasp.

"Please don't hurt me," I begged as I cowered against a tree, wiping at my blurry eyes in order to see the face of the man who had been chasing me.

"Mia, Mia wake up!"

My eyes widened as the voice echoed through the forest, making me stand up quickly, attempting to make another run for it. However, the figure in front of me grabbed me by the the shirt, hoisting me up towards him.

I locked my eyes shut, accepting what was about to happen to me, until the hand clutching onto me disappeared, and the deafening rain came to a sudden stop.

"Open your eyes, Mia!"

I exhaled deeply as I opened my eyes, noticing the sudden change in scenery.

"You're okay, it's fine," soothed a voice from in front of me, making me gasp, before tingles began to dance across my skin, giving me goosebumps.

I angled my head to see Lorenzo cradling me, his chin resting on the top of my head as he rocked us back and forth slowly, humming softly in my ear.

Grimacing at my sweat coated body, Lorenzo pulled away, cupping my cheeks as he gazed into my eyes, his brows furrowed.

"I'm very worried about you, Mia," he spoke, his eyes filled with distress. "You can't go on like this."

I pulled away, shaking my head, wanting to clear my thoughts.

Somebody was chasing me. Somebody wanted to kill me.

I hugged my knees to my chest, my lip quivering as I cried, causing Lorenzo to curse quietly under his breath, pulling me to his chest.

"I'm going to be speaking to Doctor Mac about the night terrors. He's coming to do a general check on you in the morning anyway."

I shook my head, wiping at my eyes, attempting to control my breathing.

No. No more needles. No more poking and prodding.