Chapter 54

LORENZO

Everyone gazed at me with horror, Martina narrowing her eyes and glaring at Paula, folding her arms over her chest.

"How do we know you aren't just saying that to try and ruin their bond? We know better than to trust a witch," Martina questioned with a hoarse voice, and I ran my tongue along the front of my teeth, gulping.

Martina was right.

Although Paula had freed Mia from her chains, there was still a chance that she was playing us, trying to break the bond between Mia and I. But, if she was working with Ophelia, she wouldn't want our bond broken.

She would want it as strong as possible to hurt me through my mate, so I didn't see a reason for Paula to lie.

"If what you're saying is true, do you think there's a chance Mia will wake up?" I asked, causing Paula to purse her lips, shrugging.

"Every situation is different, so I wouldn't be able to tell you." Paula kept her gaze on me, ignoring everyone else. It seemed that she wasn't bothered by everyone's sceptical glances. "I just don't see your mate getting better unless you match your marks. Is there an option to remark her perhaps?"

I shook my head, releasing a sigh. "It doesn't work like that. Her body already has a mark on it so it won't accept another, even if it's by the same person."

"Then matching your marks seems to be the only option I'm afraid."

I nodded once, grinding my teeth together in angst.

I didn't know what to do. There was no way of knowing what the best thing to do was.

"I don't wish to get too involved," Paula shrugged, holding her hands up defensively, and I noticed how she wobbled on her feet, her knees almost buckling underneath her. "I have done what I believe is the right thing, but I don't want to be held accountable for anything. Whatever you decide to do with the information I have given you is completely your choice."

"I understand," I told her, turning towards Doctor the doctor, her grimacing at me as she battled with her own thoughts on what to do. She didn't want to advise me just in case it was wrong. "Thank you Paula. We appreciate it."

"I'll drive you home," Lily spoke up, moving forward to take the keys from me, Paula offering us all a small smile before turning on her heels and making her way towards the car, Lily having to help her along as her walking stick shook under her weight.

"What the fuck," muttered Martina as she inspected the chains that had been thrown onto the ground, prodding at them with her foot. "You're going to cut out your mark? Do you really think that's a good idea?"

I huffed, Mia taking up all of my attention, and I sighed as I caressed her cheek, feeling frustrated.

"I don't know, but she's not getting better, Martina," I said morosely, my gaze settling on my sister. "This might be the only way to make sure she does."

"What does that mean for your bond?" asked Doctor Pia, her voice hushed slightly, and I could tell she was frightened about speaking out.

"I don't know. We aren't even sure it's intact now. If cutting out my mark is going to help Mia, then I'll do it."

"It will be irreversible, Alpha Lorenzo," Pia warned me, and I nodded.