Chapter 59

MIA

It had been two days since Lorenzo had woken up and we had moved back into our house. The doctors had been visiting, re-bandaging us and checking over our vitals just to be safe.

I was missing Doctor Mac, him only having visited once very briefly yesterday just to ensure we were getting on okay. He had suggested talking to Margot again, guessing that my mental state was worse than it was before.

I had shivered at the thought though. I hadn't liked therapy with her. I had nothing against the lady, but it felt wrong regurgitating and unpacking all my life trauma with her. I didn't trust her, and I knew that she wasn't actually remotely interested in what had happened to me. She was just doing her job.

I hadn't been back into the cells to visit Caspian either, although I had been tempted. I had noticed Lorenzo sneaking off a few times when I was distracted with Lily, but he always re-emerged looking morose and unimpressed, and I had gathered that Caspian still wasn't talking.

We had to just accept that he wasn't going to share anything with us, and I actually believed that he didn't know anything, although Lorenzo was more sceptical, and rightfully so. It was hard to trust someone who had stabbed you in the back.

I was currently staring at myself in the mirror, feeling much better than I had been yesterday. My muscles no longer ached, and I had even taken a peek at my mark under my bandage. It didn't look ghastly anymore, but instead, was just a swollen gash that was weeping slightly.

The doctors had told me that it should be healed in a matter of days, but I had noticed that Lorenzo's had already pretty much done so.

I flattened down the panel of my bodycon black dress, twisting around to get a view of my ass, frowning at how lack-lustre it looked underneath the fabric. The colour black really did nothing for me, but, it was finally the day of my Mother's funeral, and I wanted to pay my respects.

We hadn't always seen eye-to-eye, but, she was the woman who had birthed me, and I was saddened that we had never been able to bond in later life. I knew as an adult I would have probably had more in common with her.

We didn't have my Father's body, but we had decided to also make this day for him too. He wouldn't be buried next to my Mother, but, we were going to pay our respects to him as if he was being.

I snapped my head to the door of our bedroom as Lorenzo knocked on it and peered in. He was dressed in a black suit, his light shirt untucked casually and sleeves rolled up. He looked incredible. Seeing him dressed so lavishly was a rare occurrence. I couldn't help but ogle him, and I noticed how he also looked me up and down, his eyes turning darker.

I was aware that I had lost a little bit of weight since Ophelia had captured us, which was disappointing for me since I had worked so hard to put it on. Lorenzo had obviously noticed, and he was constantly asking me if I was hungry or if he could make me something to eat.

He watched me carefully as I ate, ensuring that each forkful was swallowed, which made me laugh. I was upset that I had lost my subtle curves though, my clothes now a little bit ill-fitting.

"Are you ready to go?" Lorenzo's voice was tentative, and I could tell that he was trying to keep the air casual. I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole situation. I felt like I had cried all of the tears I could, and as horrible as it sounded, I had sort of come to terms with the fact that both of my parents were dead.