Chapter 23

LORENZO

"Why can't you just hear me out, Lorenzo? Seriously?" snapped Martina, causing me to pinch the bridge of my nose, my focus completely on waiting for my mate's return. I just wanted to ensure she was alright.

"Will you just shut the hell up for one second?" I muttered, shaking my head, chuckling to myself in disbelief that my sister was still whining at me despite my obvious warning signs that I wasn't having any of it.

I took a few steps back, peering my head out of the doorway, catching Caspian's eyes, nodding him over. He reached us in seconds, having left his group of friends mid-conversation.

"Caspian, will you please do the pleasure of escorting my sister off my territory? Yet again," I asked, flashing a smirk, hearing a scoff from behind me. Martina was standing with her arms crossed over her chest, her tongue running along the front of her teeth in distaste.

"I'm not a child," she jeered, shaking her head, strutting past me.

"I'm not so sure about that," I remarked, gaining a laugh from Caspian as he followed Martina, heading for the exit.

Suddenly, I felt a pang in my chest and panic began to arise, taking me off guard.

There was no danger.

Why was I feeling anxious? Frightened?

Swallowing harshly, I made my way out of the library, my dark eyes darting around the room in hopes of finding Mia. I had a nagging feeling that her emotions were being projected onto me, meaning that she was panicked, something I wasn't happy about at all.

"Excuse me," I mumbled as I pushed past people, following Mia's scent, stopping once I saw her around the corner with Lily. Her face was as pale as a ghost, her eyes wide and fear-stricken.

"Not really," I heard Mia mumble to Lily, fiddling with her fingers, gently swaying from side to side. Her taut shoulders hunched over into a relaxed position slightly once she noticed my presence moving towards her though.

"Mia, what happened? Are you okay? Look at me," I asked, hooking a finger under her chin softly, turning her head from side to side, checking for any obvious sign of injury.

"I'm fine," she stuttered, dropping eye contact, suddenly finding the confetti covered floor utterly mesmerising.

"You don't look fine," Lily added, her face a mask of worry. "What happened back there? Did Ellie do anything?"

"What? Ellie?" mumbled Mia, instantly shaking her head. "No, no, she didn't do anything. She's nice."

"I thought this would be too much for you," I spoke, causing my Beta to huff, sending me a quick glare.

"Lorenzo, stop it," she muttered under her breath, nodding her head towards Mia's gulping form.

"No, Lily," I growled, getting increasing angry. "You all said you would look after her, and now look at her. She's drunk and about to have a break down. You all know she's still recovering. Her body can't handle all of this."

"Lorenzo, just calm down," sighed Lily, holding her hands up defensively, gazing around at the watchful eyes of the few people who had collected in the corridor. "Let's just go and talk about this somewhere private."