five; haunted

That morning;

"Y/n." Your eyes gently fluttered open as you stretched, meeting the stern gaze of your father standing in the doorway."Get ready," he commanded before leaving, leaving you to clean yourself up and prepare for the day.

This particular dream was all too familiar, haunting you with its painful memories. You dressed in a dark green kimono, the color a stark contrast to your long black locks and the vivid hue of your eyes.

"L/n," he addressed you, his tone distant and detached. Each repetition of your last name only served to deepen the confusion swirling within you.

As you struggled to shake off the remnants of your dream, a new voice intruded upon your thoughts. "L/n." Your eyes snapped open once more, this time greeted by the sight of Giyuu standing at the door.

The transition from your dream to the present moment felt jarring, like waking up from one reality only to find yourself in another. As Giyuu's voice penetrated the haze of your thoughts, you couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over you.

Your eyes widened at his question, surprised by the unexpected offer. "I thought I couldn't?" you replied, uncertainty lingering in your voice. Giyuu shook his head, "At night. The festival opens once the sun sets."

A smile spread across your lips as the realization sunk in. "I can go?" you asked, the excitement bubbling within you palpable. Giyuu nodded in response, promising to take you if he wasn't assigned on a mission.

You nodded, "I'd love that. Thank you, Tomioka-sama"

Present time;

Getting dressed, you found yourself reflecting back on your interrupted dream. To you, the death of your parents was only tragic because you lost your mother.

She didn't deserve to die, not how she did.

As you prepared to depart, you filled a basket with fruits. Your father often sent you out to sell your family's fruit at the market. Your mother didn't like the idea of a young woman like you alone in the city, but how could she argue with the man that hit her whenever he pleased?

Your mother, graceful and serene despite her own hardships, greeted you warmly. "Good morning, dear," You placed the last tangerine and looked up at your mother. She was so beautiful in your eyes. "Good morning mother." You spoke gently as a smile spread across your features.

"Are you going out again?" she asked, her expression tinged with concern. You nodded, knowing all too well that disobedience was not an option in your household. "Mhm. You know I can't disobey father," you replied, a hint of resignation in your voice. She nodded, a painful expression replacing her smile.

"I'll be home before you know it," you assured her, pressing a kiss to her forehead before hastening out the door, leaving behind the warmth of your mother's embrace.

Your mother didn't deserve to die, not with that man.

You stood by the closet, filled with clothes and trinkets that Giyuu had bought for you. You reached for a light blue kimono, its delicate hue complementing the richness of your hair and the depth of your eyes. As you slipped it on, a grin spread across your face, the fabric draping elegantly around you.

Seated at your vanity, you meticulously brushed your hair, the rhythmic strokes soothing your mind. With practiced precision, you secured a delicate hairclip.