Grief -- Part 2//ending (SBI + Tubbo) (Angst)

TW// Grieving/mourning, mention of death and war, anger, guilt

Third Person POV: No one in particular

Word Count: 2140

"Phil? Uh...what's up? Was that Tommy I heard before?"

Techno stood at his doorway, a half-read book clutched in his pink hands.

Phil scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "Hey, mate... Yeah... It was Tommy. He came to me for help but- Well, then I looked at him the wrong way. And he didn't take it very well. To be fair...I did feel bad about what he was talking about, and it-"

"Phil, Phil, calm down there. So...you looked at him funny, is that it? And then...?" Techno tried taking the path of dry humour, but it wasn't sticking. Feeling a little bad for his approach, he rubbed his hand down his face, being mindful not to catch his skin upon the protruding tusks.

Phil sighed. This was far from helping. "Look. Techno, it was an important issue he needed to discuss. Then he felt...threatened? No, childish? I don't know. I needed to remain stable and unreadable. But the way I should have known better than to let my face do the talking for me-"

"That's like asking you not to breathe, Phil."

The deadpanned approach to his words made Phil stop in his tracks. "Wha-?"

"Phil. He is sensitive, yes. Is that his fault? No. Moreover, is that your fault? No. You're you and he is himself. So putting that kind of pressure on yourself to be a certain way not to hurt him is lovely and kind and probably going to help him out, sure. Is it the best approach for you? No, you would simply become disingenuous."

"You love your big words," Phil chuckled softly, not really knowing how else to respond to Techno's words.

"Well, they always serve me well, so yes."

"Alright, well, anyway, now that that's sorted, can you help me?"

"What, 'cause I won't look like I care when I talk to Tommy?"

"Wha-? No! No, no, no. Just need to locate him. He ran off, that's all!"

Techno quirked an eyebrow. "That's all?"

"Well... I mean, if he really doesn't want to talk to me again, maybe you could help by listening and offering advice...?"

Techno grunted then let a cross between an exhale and snort escape his large Piglin nose, his expression as unreadable as it could get. "Well, it's not like I'll be keeping my books waiting, so sure. I'll go on your little escapade for my brother."

"Awesome!" Phil cheered, his wings fluffing out a little - from excitement and the prospect of being used soon to scout the area. "Well, gather anything you might need, and let's go before Tommy gets himself into trouble."

"Hey, Phil? You still got that...compass thingy Ghostbur made you for Tommy? Could come in handy, I mean, I'm just sayin'..."

"Oh! I almost forgot about that. I packed it away since I never wanted Tommy to think I was invading his privacy, but... This is probably as good a time as ever. I'll get it and be right back!"

-------------

With the golden compass clutched in Phil's hand, he soared off for the mainland of the SMP - bypassing the portal, as the Nether would only wear him out. However, Techno took this route as he would have no issue being in the land of his ancestors.