Dust

I put a hand to my chin and looked at the dust in the palms of her hands, I wanted to frown, but i had to remember that the diamonds couldn't really help it. There was a small thought in the back of my head that knew this was bound to happen, though  I didn't really expect it to come into fruition.

"Now how did this happen?" I calmly asked while pointing a finger down at the dust. My pointer finger outstretched and let out a small black beam that surrounded the dust, bubbling it, as they would say. Before bringing it towards me and holding it in both hands. I watched with keen interest as the little pile of dust was affected by some sort of gravity field inside of the orb and started floating in a small circle along the sides of the orb. A small tilt of my head was privy to my curiosity as I focused onto it for a small moment before I turned my focus back up towards white diamond. Her face was bright red and her features were sporting a very prevalent look of sadness as she struggled to find the right words to try and explain to me what exactly had happened over the course of time I left them alone. 

Of course I could always read her mind, but that would go against my whole thing of not wanting to interfere with the living beings as much as I could with all this innate power I was sporting, so I just resorted to being a very friendly face and exerting as much of a comforting feeling as I could. Which I honestly hope doesn't confuse her any further with all these new emotions and thoughts and just, living in general, that I had her and the other diamonds learning over time. They'd made good progress, though were they up to standard with their cartoon counter parts? no, not at all. Will they ever be? possibly, I'm not sure if the story will even progress the same way it did even if I tried to will it, somethings just like going askew and with how I am going to run things in the future. Also with what happened in the other universe, with the flood being apart of the first contact war, I have a feeling that somethings going to go wrong and I'll be left scratching my chin and sporting a very perturbed looked on my face.  

"Well, I was just telling pearl about emotions.. like you'd taught us!" she started. Pressing her chest further to the ground and pressing both palms flat against the ground as she leaned her head forward towards me. Her saddened expression just tugged at a heart string and I had to take in a deep breath as I took a step backward at the sudden closeness between us, before I opened my eyes and let a small smile overtake the pensiveness I had. 

I pursed my lips and made a small gesture for her to continue. 

"And.. and- I just, I don't know! I felt this weird thing from.. this area!" she briefly leaned up and pressed a palm flat against her chest, rubbing a small circle before leaning back forwards and dropping it down to the ground. "It felt so weird and pearl just kept asking questions.. I just couldn't handle it..and.." her fist curled and shook as she stared back down at the ground. 

I was surprised at first, yet not that all surprised now that I understand what exactly she was getting at. 

Though the fact that she was getting really stressed over a few innocent question was really telling to what her future personality would be like, and now that it was something that was prevalent in my mind. I sort of internally cringed at what would be to come from it, well, with both her and the rest of the diamonds. Which is really going to be a lot of work when it comes to the whole crystal gem and the diamond authority war between each other on earth. 

Wait, since I'm technically apart of the diamond authority in this continuity, would that mean that I'd have to choose a side in the war? Or was I just automatically going to be expected to help White Diamond completely obliterate earth with that omega beam they shot at it's surface. Then that would also mean that I have to partake in all of the unknown conflicts that would happen in between that. 

But I am getting completely sidetracked from what I'm actually trying to do here. Which was try to rationalize and comfort White for how and why this happened. 

"I see.." I said while once again running my hands all over the small black bubble I formed around Pearls dust. I let an aura of calm and comfort radiate off of me as I looked back up at her with one of my usual smiles, watching as a sudden blush lit up her white cheeks before she blinked and stopped with her little manic fidgets.

"It's fine dear... things like this happen" I comforted. 

"Bu-but.. it was a gift! a-and you said that gifts are something that are supposed to be ch-" she wasn't able to finish as I tilted my head to the side and finished the sentence for her "cherished, yes I know that dear, but what else did I say about gifts?" I said before moving the bubble into one hand and pocketing it into the void of my robe. 

"That it's uhm..." she paused and let a hand shyly raise up and pointed her index finger at her chest. "It's not about the gift.. it's about the feeling behind it?" she finished in a questioning tone, not quite getting it fully, but still getting enough of the gist for me to nod up at her.

"And?" I continued. 

"To not get so hung up over the loss of material items and instead cherish the thought and feeling behind what it meant?" she finished with a head tilt of her own. Causing me to grin at the amount of cuteness she was showing with how innocent and panicked she was at the whole ordeal. 

"Good girl" I said with a small laugh. Before walking up to her as she was leaning down towards me and lifting up a hand towards her cheek, I patted lightly against it before taking a step back and gesturing towards the opposite direction.

"Now, where are the other girls, I have a surprise for all of you."

To be continued.