16 | 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐒

CHAPTER 16
capture where it hurts

Ushijima hasn't spoken to you in days, and you're at your limit. it's the text on his phone he wakes up to that forces him to trudge to your home.

YN-CHAN
if you don't explain to me what
the hell is going on, it's over.

He stares at the text for far too long, can't find it in him to face you—he doesn't think he can handle it. But, he figures that if he's bound to lose you, it shouldn't be like this. Of course, he remembers a little too all.

Ushijima shows up at your house unannounced and starts knocking on your door, remembering that Yuika-san probably let him in. You open the door unimpressed, cold, and distant as he walks in with slumped shoulders, sitting on the edge of your couch hunched with his elbows leaning on his knees.

For such a large build, your boyfriend looks oddly small as he waits for you to supposedly crush his heart. He saw you standing behind the door, leaning as you sigh. "What is going on, Toshi? Why haven't you spoken to me in days? are you tryna end things?" you ask question after question.

"I'm not the one who wants to end things," he croaks. "How...how could you think I'd hurt you," his voice start getting shaky.

You furrow your eyebrows, shaking your head in confusion.

"What? What do you even mean?"

"I saw it, I even heard what people have been saying." His fists clutch the fabric tightly, knuckles almost white with the force with clench them.

Ushijima's never known a home, not really, but he likes to think he's found one in you. and it stings, it feels like a layer of him has been ripped off, leaving him raw and sore at the thought that maybe this hasn't been home all along. 

But he still can't help but feel like it is, and he can't bear to lose it. he wants to be enough, needs to be enough for you to stay—wants you to see that he'd hand you his heart while it still beat if he could, it was for you. but perhaps you believe otherwise, and it leaves him in despair.

"What have they been saying?" you pry gently.

"Where are you that Friday, y/n-chan?" he asked. 

You flinch slightly at the sudden noise, "I went to see my doctor to remove my cast."

"With who?" he returned to his question.

Your eyes narrow down at him," Toshi, what the heck?"

"I repeat, with who?" he raises his voice, staring at you desperately—his eyes beg you to tell him the truth. "I wouldn't...I—I could never," he whispers. "I'd never hurt you."

"I-I was with my mo-"

"Don't bring your mom into this."

Ushijima staring at you, his face says it all. Remembering that day, he saw you in a car in front of the diner, yes the one where both of you went on your first date. He was fair, almost pale white. His unfathomable, golden-brown eyes contrasted exceptionally with his light-toned face. His eyes were as deep and expressive, where Ushijima saw you get lost while staring and laughing with him.

"But, that's the truth I was with my mom. At least say it like a decent person, you coward," you spit.

He looks up at you, eyes uncharacteristically staring at you, pooled with so many emotions, you can't quite read them all. But the one that stands out is undefeated. "Then tell me where were you after the doctor?"

"I did go out with a friend," you answered.

He grabs something out of his pocket just before he puts it on your nightstand. You saw a lot of photos were taken of you with the other guy, "Toshi, where did you get this?" you asked panicking.

"You were with a guy this whole time when I was waiting for your one single text even when I'm practicing?" he asked.

"Who did you think the guy is? I swear, he is not my boyfriend."

he paused and looked up for a moment, in thought. "I didn't say anything about you dating him, so it's true."

You groan dramatically, "No, it's not. But the truth is we aren't dating, the only guy I dated is you and it's always you.

And without meaning to piss you off at all, he says "Well, we both know whose fault that is."

"You blame me for something I didn't do? Are you being for real, Toshi?"

"Damn it, y/n. We both saw the same picture and you don't even avoid it, and you don't even have to!"

That really hit you hard. You weren’t even that invested in this argument until now. Ushijima just gave you a powerful, blank stare. "Toshi, let me explain it to you!"

"Stop,"

"I'm not lying, he's... he's nothing, we are friends."

Tears pool up in your eyes and you saw him quickly get up, glaring at you while you're holding your tears in as best as you can. Walking through the door, and leaving you without saying anything.

-

You leaned back in your seat, staring at the photos on your hand, you wondered if it was ever going to be okay again. Or maybe this was just the new normal. You had told your mom you’d just be going out for some fresh air, and yet you didn’t feel like you were in a good state to be driving.

You could remember almost every word that was said in that first argument. "Well, we both know whose fault that is." You still cannot believe everything, about Ushijima losing his trust in you or where did these photos come from.

"What are you doing here? Wait, what the fuck?? It's us?"

"Kai, I don't know what to do."