Chp 3

To say my punishment for not refusing to work with Asher was painful would be an understatement. Luckily though, the damage was in hide-able places and I one would know the wiser. After my punishment Alex grumpily agreed that I was to go to Ashers place to help with the project before going straight back to the house. I wasn't allowed to be out after 5pm so I would have time to make dinner by 6.

"If you do anything stupid that gets me in trouble, you're going to wish you died off with the rest of the pack." Terrance threatened at lunch, making it clear how gone my real brother was. The way he is now is so different from the way he used to be.

We used to play tail-tag, pull pranks on everyone we could and drive our parents crazy. He used to be my best friend, but that all changed the day the pack was raided by hunters, he tried to guide me to safety but I'd been stupid enough to stop for my stuffed animal I couldn't sleep without. And that's when the hunters caught us, turning my own brother, my twin, against me when I was just five years old.

I quickly wiped at my eyes and nodded to him, not trusting my voice after reliving the flashbacks. He continued on spitting hushed threats about what would happen if I didn't make it home in time. I wasn't worried about it, it was at least three and a half hours to work on the project so we should get an efficient amount done within a couple days.
After a few more minutes the bell rang and I threw my half eaten lunch away, less than excited about working with a stranger who seemed to hear even the softest word. It really made me wonder if he could read my mind...

As soon as I entered the science room Asher grinned and patan empty seat beside him, which clearly meant he wanted me to sit there. Glancing at Terrance, I slowly sat in the seat and gave my partner a soft nod in greeting.

"So you're coming over to my house after school to work on the project right?" Asher asked softly, opening his notebook. I nodded quietly, not wanting Terrance to hear me talk to him. "Cool." He grinned and finally stopped talking, allowing me to think on silence.

I have to be careful... who knows what'll happen if he turns out to be a bully...? My wolf won't like it, she'll try to be dominant... sometimes I wish I wasn't an alpha by blood......

A light nudge pulled me from my thoughts and I blinked at Asher confusedly.

"She asked if you were ok, you seemed kind of out of it."
"Yeah, I'm fine." I mumbled, lowering my head.

I'm going to be in trouble for spacing out as soon as I get home......

After what felt like an eternity -which was really only an hour- the bell finally rang and I followed Asher outside.

"Just a warning, my aunt can be... psychotic sometimes, you can just ignore her if you want." I just nodded, the less I actually talked to him the better.

About five minutes of walking Asher led me into an apartment. The kitchen opened up to my right, a living room to my left and a hallway straight ahead, revealing a couple closed doors. In the kitchen pulling a cookie sheet that had what looked like chocolate was a woman with short white hair, her back was to me so I couldn't see her eyes, but it's safe to assume this is Ashers aunt.

"Hey auntie, mind if we take some for while we work?" Asher asked the woman, grinning at the sight of the chocolates.
"'We'?" She turned around to look at us and studied me with mischievous golden eyes, that also seemed to be a bit watery. "I can't believe it......" she whispered under her breath, which was followed by a confused look from my partner.

"What do you mean?"
His aunt grinned, hiding whatever it was she was thinking and starting shouting, "MY LIL MANS GOT A GIRLFRIENDDDDD!!!"
"AUNTIE!?!?" Ashers face flushed and he smacked her arm, making me flinch despite her maniacal laughing.
"You can have some bud, but I'll be checking on you guys later."
"And you'll find us working on our project!" He glared at her and took my arm, gently guiding me to what I assumed to be his room.

His bed was in a corner against the walls, a wolf howling on his blanket, he had a desk beside his bed with some papers that looked blank, although I could see what looked like a drawing the woods near the school. There were a couple pictures on the desk and walls of him and a dark haired girl with sea green eyes, some with him, the girl and two adults, a man with black hair and sea green eyes and a woman with chestnut hair and warm brown eyes.

Probably his parents and maybe... his sister...?

There were a couple hand drawn pictures too, of woods, his family and even some other people I can't recognize. I squinted at his bed and noticed a little green dragon stuffed animal perched on the pillows.

"I have everything we need for the project so let's get started." Asher said with a smile, pulling out notebooks, pens and pencils.

We ended up working in silence, until Asher broke it that is.

"hey did you know that wild wolf packs don't actually have an alpha? The leader of the pack is pretty much just the guy with the most kids and everyone follows him like a father."
"Really? Cool." I mumbled, trying to focus.
"... the term alpha is only used for wolves in captivity, when there are a couple of female wolves and they have to pick a mate."
"We should focus on the project," quietly, I added, "instead of spouting facts i already know"
He shrugged and just moved on to the project, leaving us in silence once more.