Chp 7

(^Cress' dress^)

Four years later

I never thought I would miss anyone enough to get snappy at my family. I was very wrong. When Asher left I felt like a piece of me left too, hoping to stay with him. After a month turned into four, they turned into a year, before turning into four I lost all hope of seeing him again.

I trained myself hard, I could beat every wolf in the pack except my mother.
I would train just to get my mind off of the pain, it was never physical, but emotional. I missed Asher more than I missed my parents after I was taken and I couldn't understand why.

"Come on Cress, take a break. You have to get ready for your party." Terrance called, breaking my train of thought, causing me to hit the dummy in the chest with my knife instead of the neck. I growled, I didn't want a party. Asher left just before my 13th which made it hurt more.
But sadly my parents insisted I have a sweet 16, so here we are.

I grabbed my knife and went to my cave to get ready, changing out of my sports bra and leggings and into my dress.
It hugged my chest and hips, the halter style top making it easy to put it on. The dark blue of the top was my favorite color, but it lightened into a kind of baby blue by the time it reached the bottom of the dress. I picked out this floor length dress to wear today, last week for my moms sake. She practically begged me to pick a dress.

I added midnight blue eyeshadow on my eyelids and a touch of lipgloss, not that I would really stick around long. I put on my blue heels and walked out, heading towards the party.

I weaved around some people, giving them smiles and waves as I made my way to the drinks.

"How is it?" Mom asked, sliding up beside me in her favorite ocean blue dress.
"Its ok..." I mumbled, taking a sip of the cream soda I'd grabbed.
"Don't worry sweetie, I have a surprise that I think will help you feel better." I scoffed.
"Sure, and pigs can fly." My mom frowned at me, shaking her head.
"I know you're upset, but I'm just trying to help." She walked away before I could say anything else, going to find my father no doubt.

And that's when his scent reached my nose. I may not have smelled it in four years, but I committed it to memory, it was my favorite. Like fresh rain and chocolate.
I followed the trail, speed-walking  towards the source like my life depended on it, I closed my eyes briefly to gather my thoughts when I crashed into something.
I yelped and stumbled back a little, only to be caught by warm, strong hands.

"Cress?" That voice. I shuddered lightly at the sound of my name on his tongue and blinked at the young man who always managed to be on my mind.
"Ash..." he pulled me into a hug, burying his nose in the crook of my neck to breathe in my scent.
"I missed you...." He mumbled, his breath fanning out over my neck.
"I missed you too...."
"You're ok though right?"
"What?"
"When you crashed into me, you didn't get hurt did you?" He explained, pulling away to examine me.
"No no, I'm fine thank you. For um, for saving me,"

"I couldn't just let the birthday girl fall, especially if she's my best friend." I beamed at his words, giving him a grin.
"There's the beautiful smile I've missed so much..." his cheeks reddened slightly but he didn't try taking it back. I punched his shoulder playfully.
"There's the adorable dorkiness I know and love."

He laughed and we went for a walk, telling eachother about life the whole time. Before long the sun set and we were still in our little clearing, laughing and talking.

"Y'know... I promised myself the next time I saw you I'd do something that may or may not get me killed." Asher said, watching the flowers around us. I tensed, this couldn't be good.
"Why would it get you killed?"
"...... it'll be easier if I just do it......"
"Ok..."

I was watching him intensely, trying to gouge out his plan with my mind.

What is he going to do?

"This has nothing to do with what Akari said, back when we were younger, I just.... I can't keep Thinking about how it might be my last chance."
"Go ahead Ash... I'm sure everything will be fine."

He chuckled softly and looked at me, eyes filled with affection.
"You are the only person I've ever met who I've actually really enjoyed talking to, outside of the family, and I want to keep it that way. I want to wake up knowing I'll always be able to hear your voice no matter the distance between us." Asher started hesitantly. I frowned.
"You're going to give me a phone?" I questioned, confused.
"No Cress, just please let me finish before I lose the nerve." He chuckled nervously and took my hands gently.

"I love your laugh, your smile. I love how you make me smile just by being in my life. You're everything I want and more, I honestly can't imagine my life without you in it anymore, I don't think we met by accident. Ever since I stepped onto your parents territory my... inner beast... has been practically pacing, screaming at me in fact, to find you. And I knew why the moment I caught you. I'm not sure if you're fully in contact with your wolf or what, but I know for a fact that I need to do something. Tonight preferably."

He exhaled deeply, as if he used one deep breath to say all of that. My head was spinning with confusion, I wasn't sure why he was talking like this, was he sick?

"Asher what's going on? You're worrying me."
"Sorry, that was not my intention. I guess I'm not really the confessing-your-feelings type of person. Can you just... close your eyes for me?" He asked, his eyes filled with nervousness and something I couldn't recognize.

"Ok..." I did as he asked, pressing my eyes closed and waiting.

I waited, then I waited some more and the finally I felt it. He pressed his lips to mine in a firm, but loving kiss, to which I reciprocated.