Chp 6

A/N hey everyone! Life's been a bit busy, even with summer here. I've been working a few more hours at work so I'm not entirely sure how often I'll be able to update. What days of the week would work best for you guys? I could start working on a schedule to update all of my stories when you guys have time to read them. Let me know in the comments! Enjoy!

I started choking on my own saliva as I registered her words, my face burning.

Mates?! Grandnieces!?! What is wrong with this woman- I'm 12!!!

"U-um...... I don't think...... I don't think that's how it works......" I mumbled quietly, staring at my hands

I started choking on my own saliva as I registered her words, my face burning.

Mates?! Grandnieces!?! What is wrong with this woman- I'm 12!!!

"U-um...... I don't think...... I don't think that's how it works......" I mumbled quietly, staring at my hands
"Oh trust me sweet heart, you two are bound to be mates. In fact I'll place a bet with your mom, as soon as you see Asher after you turn 16 y'all will mark eachother."
"A-and if we don't?" I asked hesitantly.
"Psh, that won't happen, but because you asked, if I lose, I'll...... stop pranking for a month."

I nearly laughed, Akari was notorious for her pranks. No one was safe.

We quickly finished up in the Med den, Akari giving me a mild painkiller while my bones heal, and I showed Asher around the territory. He seemed to already know most of the layout but never said anything about it, listening to the stories that I told while we walked.

"If there was one thing you could go back in time and fix, what would it be?" Asher suddenly asked, watching my reaction closely. I frowned, I never really thought about it.
"I...... I would keep myself from being such a scared pup. I had the ability to destroy the Songs but I let them hurt me, I let them break me. I can't help but imagine what my life would've been like if I had at least fought back."
Asher nodded slowly in thought.
"At least you're home now right?"
"Yeah definitely, although not much has changed. Is it bad that I'm relieved?"
"Of course not," he answered honestly. "Sometimes a big change is what can break someone. Sometimes it's the little things that count."
I smiled softly and shook my head.
"I never took you for a philosopher."
"That's 'cause I found that on a motivational quote in a book once."
(Nope UwU came up with it on my own, if it is in a book then my baddddd)

We laughed at that and continued our stroll, telling jokes and stories along the way.

~~~~

It's been a week since Terrance and I arrived at the pack, he went back to being the best big brother he used to be, although I was wary and still flinched whenever he went to give me a high five. Actually, I flinched at any fast movement anyone made, I knew I'd get over the whole thing with time, but I hated seeing everyone's worried glances.

Asher went to live with his aunt in her apartment, visiting occasionally to check on me and make sure Terry hasn't hurt me anymore. After being satisfied we'd go on a walk to my favorite spot, a garden of sorts, and just talk about anything and everything. Little did I know how much it would break my heart......

After Asher had arrived, we headed towards the spot in complete silence, it was unnerving. He had a frown on his face and all I wanted was to make him smile, but I just didn't know how. Maybe it would help if I knew what was going on, then again, maybe he won't tell me.
I stayed quiet, contemplating what to do about my best friends silence.

After we'd been sitting at the spot for ten minutes I sighed and lightly touched his hand.

"Ash..." I started softly, frowning.
"Hm?" He replied, blinking at me.
"Is everything ok? You seem off today."
"Oh yeah it's just......" he sighed heavily and ran a hand through his hair.
"I'm going back to Astoria tomorrow. Something about your dad insisting you having no distractions? I'm not really sure, but yeah. Basically he doesn't really want us handing out anymore and the only way he can make that happen is if I'm in a castle who knows how many miles away from here."

I blinked incredulously, my thoughts racing.

"Why would he do that? Isn't he grateful I'm even here because of you? Well, mostly because of you." I questioned out loud, standing up to pace.
"I have no idea Cress, I'll visit though, we have business here in Alaska still, plus my aunts mate lives here so in extension she lives here, meaning the only time she'll come to Astoria is if dad really needs her for something and I can visit anytime I want."
"Unless dad doesn't let you in pack lands." I mumbled softly.
"If mom and dad don't invite you guys to come in our territory then you could potentially start a war."

Asher laughed softly, confused.
"Why wouldn't they let us into the territory? We're technically family."
"Not biologically. Sure, your aunt is my uncles mate, but when you think about it she's not even your biological aunt, meaning technically we're not family."
"But she's adopted. Which 'technically' makes us family by adoption and the matebond."

I sighed heavily, there really was way I could explain it nicely.

"Look Asher, family or not, biologically or not, my dad just doesn't like you. He doesn't like any boys my age. Except my brother, and even then Terry's on thin ice for beating me. He's being over protective here." I explained softly, letting out a deep breath to clear my head. It didn't work.
"....... I guess that makes sense......"
"I mean I could always visit, I'll get a job as soon as I can, I'll ask Akari if she can hide me in her bag or something, it's not goodbye forever, only farewell for now."
He smiled at me and pulled me into a hug, keeping me close.

"I'm going to miss you Cress......"
"I'm going to miss you too Ash, I'm going to miss you too..."