Chapter 40 - Welcome to the Militia

No one seemed to have anymore questions so Bawden decided to conclude the meeting there. Protecting ourselves was becoming more challenging. It was only a matter of time before a pack of hunters tracked us here. I've seen the militia take down stragglers outside the gates before, but they never came in groups more than three or four.

"You're all dismissed," Bawden said soberly, his eyes running over all of the faces in the crowd. I could tell he wanted nothing more than to protect these people.

Everyone dispersed, some going back to their cabins others hanging back to discuss what they just heard.

"Hey, I'm gonna head back," Lucas said beside me.

"Okay, I think I'll stay a while," I replied as I looked to where Bawden was standing, he seemed to be having an important discussion with Romero and Marco, "I need to talk to Bawden."

Lucas eyed me a moment, a subtle expression of realization slowly crept onto his face.

"Hailey, you're not thinking of joining the militia are you?"

"Why not?" I turned to face him, my expression morphing into one of confusion.

"Have you seen what's out there?" His eyebrows drew together, "And by the looks of it, things have gotten worse now."

Clasping his hands at the back of his head, his eyes darted around as though he was looking for the words to say.
Finding them, he turned to look at me again.

"Three people died today Hailey," he paused, "I just found you, I don't want to lose you again." His eyes were pleading.

I let Lucas' words sink in a moment. I didn't realize his affections ran so deep.

Death by the hunters would always be in the cards for us. I'd rather fight to protect myself and those around me than to let that fate meet me cowering in fear.

"I know, but if I can help I'm going too, and I'm pretty sure I have a better chance at surviving out there than some of these people who've never even faced a hunter head on before," I tried to explain, "tell me you don't feel the same way." I knew he did.

He hung his head staring at the dirt between us, "I do, that's why I'm volunteering, I was going to speak to Bawden first thing in the morning," he lifted his head to look at me, "You however don't need to do this Hailey."

"Lucas," I sighed, "You know most of these people aren't going to step up," I waved my hand towards the camp members who still lingered in the area, "They're scared and rightfully so, you volunteering is hardly enough."

Lucas mulled over my words as he surveyed the anxious faces about the camp.

I placed a gentle hand on his cheek, turning his face towards me, "I will be alright, we will have each other's back out there," I added, giving him a half smile.

"Always," he said somberly holding my hand against his cheek.

. . .

I maneuvered my way through the small groups of camp members who were engrossed in conversations about the things Bawden had said and what this meant for us and our survival.

Bawden now stood at the foot of the stairs to his office, shoulders tense with both hands tucked in his pockets.

Romero stood adjacent to him with arms folded, his eyes studying me as I approached them. Marco stood opposite to them, following Romero's gaze, he turned to look at me.

"Hermosa," he greeted me as I stopped next to him.

"Hey," I acknowledged all of them.

"Ms. Rivera," Bawden gave me a nod, "I trust that you're well."