Chapter 44 - Ready for the Hunt

I focused on the map of Brighton spread over Bawden's desk, my eyes following his finger as it moved along the lines depicting the streets.

After keeping a close eye on my skill set during the week's training, Bawden found that I should attend breifings such as these, should something happen to his firsts in command. I was somewhat confident in my ability of defending myself, however, leading a group, that, I was unsure of. When I told that to Bawden, he just smiled and said he would see me at the briefings. He had that same look on his face when he told me. It was the look he had the night I volunteered to join the militia. I thought they were high expectations for someone he didn't know for very long.

Dune, Romero, Marco, another man whose name I couldn't remember and Reya were also standing around the table listening to Bawden lay out the plan.

Reya and I hadn't discussed Ryan since I found out about him. I kept her secret though it would stir a conflict within me from time to time. A tornado spinning in my chest, threatening to burst through at times. Whenever we passed by each other, she'd give me a reassuring look with the slightest nod of her head. It was her way of letting me know that everything was fine with Ryan.

I pulled my eyes from the map up to Bawden's face, wondering what he would do if he knew his infected son was right here in the camp.

"Once we've secured it," Bawden pointed to another street on the map, "This is the route we use to transport the hunter to the Labs."

"So are we alright with that?" Bawden looked at us for a response.

Even after hearing Bawden thoroughly explain how we were going to trap a hunter, I still couldn't help but feel a bit uneasy at the whole idea. I tried to take solace in the fact that they had done this before without incident. Shooting a hunter from a distance was one thing but getting up close, was something else entirely. There would be no room for errors.

Dune folded his arms and I knew his input was coming.

"Thought you said we weren't doing bounties anymore," Dune spoke.

"I said we'd only do bounties if absolutely necessary," Bawden folded his arms as well to reply to Dune.

"What are they giving us?" The other man asked. Bennett was his name.

"They've promised gallons of diesel for our trucks as well as medical supplies," Bawden answered.

"Our meds are low-but don't we have enough diesel?" Reya asked next.

"Its becoming harder to find petrol stations and vehicles that haven't been siphoned dry around here. Soon we'll have to look farther, we'd be expending more diesel in hopes of finding diesel, it just doesn't make sense." Bawden shook his head.

She nodded in understanding.

"I'll be going with you on this one, Bennett I trust that you could hold down the fort while we're gone," Bawden rested a heavy hand on Bennett's shoulder.

"Yes Sir."

We filed out of Bawden's office. The rest of the militia members who would be going on this trip were waiting just outside.

The others and I descended the stairs to join the group. After a short address, everyone disbanded to begin prepping the trucks and getting weapons

I was about to walk away when warm fingertips gently grasped my wrist.

"Ride with Reya's group," Romero spoke. He lets go of my hand once I'm turned toward him.

"Marco will be there," he added.