Chapter 16 - Hit Me

I stepped onto the dewy grass that covered the backyard, making my way over to Romero, who was waiting for me. It was time to train.

Today he was going to assess my fighting skills. I wasn't nervous about my ability but his heavy gaze on the other hand made me feel something I couldn't name.

He motioned for me to come at him with a tilt of his head.

With my block up, I moved towards him. I raised my leg to deliver a front thrust kick to his abdomen.

He parried, hitting my foot away. I staggered a bit, trying to find my footing again before I responded by leaping into the air with a spinning side thrust kick. It connected with his chest, making him stumble back.

His expression changed. With a slight smile on his face, he looked at me as though he was reconsidering my skill level.

A small smile appeared on my own lips at his reaction.

He charged towards me with a right hook, I pushed my block out, deflecting it before it connected with my face.

With lightning speed, using the same hand, I punched his abdomen, then his rib cage with my other in a quick double punch.

In response, he caught my right hand, locking it against his rib cage and his arm before I could recoil.

I released a small gasp at his action.

He grasped my right shoulder with his hand, pushing me down as he brought a sharp knee up to my abdomen.

The blow wasn't hard enough to really hurt me but it slightly knocked the air out of me.

Keeping the grasp on my shoulder, he released the hand he had trapped at his ribcage. He pulled my shoulder making me spin as he pulled my back against his hard chest, he locked my neck with his forearm.

He then delivered a punch to my ribcage with his other hand.

"Ugh," I winced in pain.

I swiftly stepped back with my right leg.

Holding on to his forearm with both hands. I Thrust my hips hard into his midsection, taking his center of gravity as I pulled him over me.

He crashed into the ground with stunning force. I let out a slight chuckle, satisfied with my work.

Shocked by the force and pain of my response he sharply spins his body on the ground, bringing his right leg behind my calf, knocking my legs out from under me. the force of the kick, caused me to fall hard. I groaned in pain.

He springs to his feet, stepping towards me with his hand extended to pick me up.

"You're not what I expected," I saw a smirk playing on his lips.

"You have no idea," I said, thinking back on all those karate classes.

Grabbing his extended hand as I sprung back up.

In quick movements, I stepped onto his thigh with my left leg, scissoring my right over his head. I then brought my next leg up from on his thigh to the left side of his head locking his neck.

Still holding on to his right hand, I pushed my force forward and down as if I was trying to throw him with my legs which body-slammed him to the ground, causing him to flip over. With his arm now locked between my legs, I loosen my hold raising one of my legs to deliver an ax kick which he blocked and pulled his arm free.

We both sprung to our feet with a little distance between us.

"Impressive," he breathed, causing a smile to tug at my lips.