Chapter 52 - Nathan

I stood staring blankly as Dune hammered the wooden cross into the ground. The air was filled with the earthy odor of freshly dug dirt mingled with the scent of dried leaves. It was a scent I once found refreshing, but now, it was beginning to make me nauseous.

Next to the mound of dirt, Bawden stood with heavy shoulders and a weary countenance. I could tell by the sound of sniffles and soft sobs that he was saying something profound, but I couldn't focus on his words. All I could hear was the rustling of the trees behind him. I felt completely numb.

Since we arrived at the camp the night before, the tides of my emotions had been pulled back out to sea. It would only be a matter of time before they came rushing back in the form of a tidal wave. I tried my best not to think of all that had happened. Keeping a clear mind was the only thing holding back the wave that would inevitably drown me.

"His memory will certainly live on with those who knew him," Bawden bowed his head, "Rest easy now."

I pulled my eyes away from the grave and towards Romero. His tired eyes were already fixed on me, trying to figure out if I would ever forgive him for what he had done. Unable to hold my gaze, he looked down to the ground.

Would I ever forgive him?

I didn't notice when Sabina moved from beside me and went to stand next to Bawden, nor when she had started singing.

Her voice was raspy and beautiful as she sang, the song making everyone's eyes glassy, still my tears never fell.

"Hailey." A hand touched my shoulder, and I turned around to find Grace.

"He's awake," she smiled weakly, "He really wants to see you." She nodded.

My eyes widened at her words, and my breaths became harder to take.

I looked at Romero again, and his expression softened, understanding what my eyes were saying.

His chest deflated slowly as he let out the breath he seemed to be holding for the last few hours.

Unsteadily, I stepped away from the funeral gathering and followed Grace.

With each step, I could feel the wave approaching, but no longer with the violent force of despair that I was dreading. It was returning with relief, felicity, and something darker on it's tail.

The cabin that was designated as the camp's medical center came into view, and my heart pounded harder in my chest.

Unable to wait any longer, I burst into a sprint towards the cabin. I climbed the stairs two at a time until I reached the door. Pausing, my hand hovered over the doorknob. It felt like I was about to awaken from a vivid dream. My fingers wrapped slowly around the doorknob and turned it.

I pushed the door open gently, worried that if my movements weren't careful enough, I might shatter the dreamscape I had entered. My eyes met Nathan's and the wave crashed.

Golden rays of sunlight filtered into the cabin, shining just off the side of his bed, but the glow still reached his face, making him look like an angelic apparition.

Crossing the threshold, I ran straight in, crashing into my brother's arms. This was real.

"Ugh," he groaned in pain from the impact, but his arms wrapped around me as tightly as they could.

"I can't believe it's actually you," His voice cracked with emotion, "I thought I would never see you again."

At his words, the rubber-band around my heart snapped, and my tears flowed relentlessly. By some miracle, I got my brother back.