Chapter 26 - Narrow Escape

"Romero!" My eyes searched his face as I slowed.

"Keep running!" He grunted, a tinge of pain hanging on the edge of his words.

More shots fired, cutting through the white mist that clouded the forest.

We shifted into high speed again, ducking and avoiding obstacles. My eyes traveled to Romero every few seconds.

Soon we emerged from the green sea of trees, it felt like a breath of fresh air.

We came upon an open roadway at the forest's edge, a few vacant cars were scattered about the ghostly road.

Romero turned around firing a few shots to buy us some time to get to a vehicle.

We crouched low as we ran through the maze of cars, trying to get to one with an easy exit.

Some of them were splattered with blood, their seats stained with the thickly crusted substance.

They were the remnants of a horrific event.

We boarded a black van; I fired a few warning shots as Romero twisted the key in the ignition. The van roared to life then went silent again, shutting down.

He kept trying as the engine sputtered.

My nerves ignited as the men lined the edge of the road, some of them running up from the rear.

"Romero," I said nervously.

The engine fired up, brightness exploded from the headlights and Romero floored it.

With a screech, the van began to skid and we rocketed forward.

I crouched low as the clinking sound of bullets hitting the van's tray ricocheted from behind.

I breathed easy as we drove down the winding road, leaving behind the tiny figures.

The soft shine of the blue moon filtered down, tiny specks of dust particles floating around in its glow.

There was thick foliage on both sides of the road creating a tunnel-like view ahead of us, dark and uncertain.

Neither of us said anything to each other. The silence weighed heavy between us.

I'm not sure I knew what to say to him ...

The van slowed down as Romero pulled over to the side. He tore the sleeve of his T-shirt off; biting it, he ripped open the armhole.

He placed one end of the torn sleeve in his mouth then wrapped the material around his wound, making a knot and pulling it tight with his teeth.

"Are you okay?" I asked, my tone a bit solemn.

He glanced at his left arm, "I'm fine, it just grazed me."

He refocused his tired eyes on the road.

I sighed, shifting my body away from him. I pressed my cheek on the headrest as the cool breeze whipped against my face.

I felt completely lost again, not that I had found a clear path in this mess before but the uncertainty that I felt was amplified now.

I was in a tricky spot. I couldn't trust him, but a part of me did.

I didn't know what he was involved in.

What did I get myself into?

Maybe I'd be better off on my own trying to find my dad and brother.

The questions conquered my mind as I recalled everything that happened tonight.

Why did that man call him agent?

Why did he refer to him as an old friend?

Did Romero betray them?

Was I helping the wrong person?

I heard rustling and heavy breathing off the side of the road.

A rogue hunter was chasing the van, struggling to keep up as it ran along the edge of the trees.

I decided against shooting it but rather observed it's capabilities.

I watched it closely, my cheek still against the headrest as it sprinted after us.

Who was she before she got sick? A doctor, a teacher, maybe someone's mom...

After a while she gave up the chase, disappearing back into the dark forest.

We drove until we reached the shell of what once was a town.

Along the way, Romero suggested that we switched vehicles to cover our tracks.

He pulled up near an isolated abandoned house, switching off the engine.

~~~Author's Note~~~

Best line?

Favorite scene?

Remember to comment and vote if you liked the chapter.

Anything you didn't like?

We absolutely love your comments and enjoy reading them

You can follow this story on Instagram to read our favorite quotes from the book and get the latest updates - @regeneration_book

Copyright © 2017 by Kimberley & Amanda Woodroffe