Chapter 36 - The Empty Cabin

"Sorry about your lip mate," Reya said as she squinted at the split in Marco's lip.

"I've had worse," Marco smirked as he wiped some of the blood off with his thumb and examined it. He flicked his gaze towards her with a hint of flirtation in his eyes.

Reya studied his face for a brief moment before speaking again, "Let me show you the rest of the camp."

We followed her to the garden. A few of the campsite communes were down in the dirt tending to crops of various shades of green with bold clumps of color in between. I watched as tiny water droplets settled on the plump red tomatoes as a man passed through the rows spraying them.

"After protection, making sure we could sustain ourselves was the next crucial thing," Reya said as she led us along the garden's edge, "We practice functionalism here, everyone has to do their bit where they can; no one stays for free."

"Well that's fair," Lucas said.

I heard Romero say something to Reya but my focus was drawn to the distance, as the sound of a child's laughter bounced off of the atmosphere and echoed in my ear. Her laughter was so pure so carefree and joyful; the sound lifted my spirit.

My eyes searched my surroundings until I saw her. Her head thrown back in laughter as her little male companion tossed a handful of dried leaves up in the air which fell over her. The leaves danced around her as they fell back to the earth and she twirled with them; the huge grin never leaving her face. I was amazed at how easily she could forget the grim world in which she existed. How easily the simplest of acts could bring her such joy. Unaware of the precious resource she was in procession of. That blissful carefree innocence; to have the shelter of parents or adults shielding you from harsh realities that taint your soul.

She seemed to have noticed me too. Her smile faded and she stared at me blankly and I at her. A second passed before she smiled at me then ran out of my view.

"How many children are here?" I asked Reya as we continued walking.

"There are a few, they spend the day at our make-shift childcare center." She answered me.

Reya showed us the rest of the camp before walking us back to our cabin.

I took in the rustic feel of the woody area as we strolled. Our Cabin was further from the camp's main area. There were about four other cabins out in the distance that seemed to be unoccupied.

"Does anyone live in those cabins?" I asked, my eyes fixed on the small structures shrouded by trees.

"No, they're empty," Reya said flatly.

"Almost at full capacity," Romero said, his eyes surveying the camp, "What happens when there's no more space?"

Reya eyed him for a moment, "When that bridge comes we'll cross."

We stopped when we reached our cabin. A basket filled with fresh produce was set in front of the door.

"What's this?" I pointed to the basket as we approached the cabin.

"Food for the day," Reya replied.

"That's kind of you," I smiled softly.

"I hope you consider my father's offer. We're having a bonfire later, you can join us if you are still here."

"Won't that attract hunters?"

"Hunters?" She gave Romero a puzzled look, "You mean the zombies?"

"Yes," Romero nodded.

"We usually have extra security on the perimeter for bonfire night," she answered, "But it never seemed to attract anymore than the usual straggler," with that Reya bid us goodbye.