Chapter 1 - Before

Five months later.

A rush of frigid wind hit me like a wall of ice as I stepped onto the porch. It was still dark out and I could see a few stars dotting the inky blue sky.

"Last one to the end of the street and back has to do the dishes tonight!"

My brother's words pulled me out of my thoughts and all I heard was the sound of feet hitting the pitch before I took off after him.

Breathing heavily, I willed my body to move faster, my legs and lungs burned as I pushed on. We ran, covering a great distance.

Seeing the end mark just ahead now I tried my best to catch him, but I wasn't fast enough.

Damn it.

I heaved and exhaustion overtook my body.

"Better luck next time."

Nathan laughed as he wiped a few beads of sweat off his forehead.

Jerk

We turned around and slow-jogged a few more laps.

Cracks of daylight broke from the sky, shimmering through the trees, indicating that a new day had arrived.

One day, one day I'll actually beat him.

Nathan was two years older than me and we've always been competing against each other for as long as I can remember.

Stopping in front of the house, we deeply inhaled and exhaled as we waited for our heart rates to slow down a bit.

"You do know that this is 'rigged' right?" I said folding my arms.

"Really?" Nathan raised an eyebrow at me.

"Firstly you're six feet tall, I'm five - six, so your legs are longer and secondly you're a professional athlete, I mean come on, this is practically your job," with that I pushed past him, going straight for the door.

He chuckled following me inside.

"Hey baby, how was the run?" My mom called from the couch after taking a sip of her coffee.

"Nathan cheated as usual."

"I don't know why you torture yourself with his silly competitions," she laughed, "It's just exercise. Leave it up to you two to make it an Olympic sporting event."

"Haha, I'm gonna shower."

I trudged my tired legs up the stairs; stopping by Nylah's door I cracked it open.

"Hey wake up! Time to get dressed for school."

"Ugghh," she groaned as she turned away and covered her head with a pillow, "My alarm hasn't even gone off yet. Go away!"

Such a ray of sunshine.

. . .

I tugged on my shoes, giving myself a once-over in the mirror before I grabbed my backpack and walked downstairs.

Mom was now in the kitchen looking busy starting breakfast.

"Smells great in here," I said taking a seat on one of the stools by the kitchen island.

"Is Nathan still in the shower? He better not make me late," I said as I stuffed my mouth with a pancake.

Right on cue, he entered the kitchen, swinging his car keys around his index finger.

He picked up a slice of toast scorching his fingertips, "Ou hot hot," quickly he transferred it to his mouth like that would solve the problem.

I grinned at his silliness.