Chapter 12 - We've Got Company

We drove for a while in silence as I watched the blurred shades of green outside my window.

"Thank you... for this," I said, but he didn't respond.

"I grabbed some food at the gas station," I said, reaching for the bag.

I reached into the bag and retrieved two granola bars, handing him one.

"Thank you." He accepted it.

He kept his focus on the road as he tore the packet open with his teeth, then took a bite.

I tore open my own and began eating. My stomach ravishing the simple granola bar. Just then, I realized that I hadn't eaten in over twenty-four hours.

There were barely any other vehicles on the road, only a few passing us every now and then, heading in the opposite direction.

I glanced at the stranger beside me. His eyes were focused on the road ahead.

What was his story? What was his name?

My mind churned on. Unable to restrain myself, I built up the courage to ask him about himself. If I was going to stay with him any longer, I at least wanted to know his name.

"What's your name?"

His eyes flickered to me, studying me for a moment before he looked away. Then he answered.

"Romero," the name rolled off his lips smoothly.

It suited him.

"Hailey."

His eyes didn't move from the road, and I wondered if he heard me.

The car turned onto a different street, it wouldn't be long till we reached the stadium now.

"So, where are you headed?" I asked.

"To meet a friend," he answered vaguely.

"What about your family? Where are they?" I saw a muscle in his jaw flinch as he clenched it.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, realizing I must have overstepped.

I turned away, staring out the window. I saw houses sealed shut and commercial buildings locked up tight. I had never seen Barcelona like this before. It was an unusual scene.

I flinched in fright when I saw one of the persons Romero referred to as 'Hunters' standing near a large glass window inside one of the locked buildings.

The hunter spotted our car. It ran up to the glass and started banging its head and fists with an unnatural force against it.

I was startled when I saw jagged and crooked lines that resembled strokes of lightning began running through the glass as blood oozed from its forehead. I peeled my gaze away, not wanting to see anymore.

Pulling into the vacant parking lot of the stadium, we parked near the entrance. I felt a mixture of anticipation and nervousness build up inside me, and I couldn't wait to wrap my arms around my brother. We both got out of the car, swinging the door shut.

Overhead, I heard the flapping of a thousand wings. An enormous flock of birds flew over our heads, like a black river in the sky. I stopped in my tracks, marveling at the sight.

"I've never seen so many before. It's incredible."

From the corner of my eye, I thought I saw Romero's tense expression soften for a moment as he looked at me.

"They're migrating," he said, turning his head away from me and to the sky.

"Migrating?" I asked confused, "At this time of year?"

"Animals can sense when something catastrophic is happening in the land."

His words sent a chill down my spine.

The big metal doors creaked as we pushed it open slowly. We walked through the tunnel hallway, seeing the green open field just ahead. The stadium didn't have that exhilarating and electric feel anymore. Now, it just felt haunted.

The whistling wind rolled pieces of garbage and snack wrappers across the field.  The stands were empty, and the eerie silence was a stark contrast to the usual loud sounds of the stadium.

"This way," I said, motioning towards the locker rooms. My voice echoed, bouncing around in the emptiness. He followed as I led the way.

I burst through the doors of the locker room, searching frantically, "Nathan!" I yelled.

"I wouldn't do that," Romero said calmly.

I just glanced at him dismissively, continuing my search. I walked further into the locker room, opening and closing doors. I turned into the showers, but there was still no sign of my brother. Concern and trepidation crept in with every ticking second.

"He's not in here," I said, walking past Romero and out the locker room.

I walked further into the same hallway, making my way in the direction of the back exit. As I sped walked down the hall, I stepped on something small and hard.

I stopped, looking down to see what it was. My heart dropped to the floor as I stared down at the object. I bent down picking it up.

It was Nathan's phone.

I looked intently at the silver phone with its familiar casing in my hand. The screen had been cracked. My mind flickered back to the call. I remembered the shuffling and yelling before Nathan hung up. Horrible thoughts flooded my mind, but I tried to push them back. My brother wasn't dead.

"What is it?" Romero asked, I almost forgot he was right behind me.

CRREEEEEAK.

Both our heads snapped in the direction of the sound. It was the door to the locker room.

Someone else was here.

Nathan?

Immediately after, there was a terrifying growl that sent shivers down my spine.

"We've got company," Romero said as he tightened his grip on his gun.