Chapter 46 - What the Hell Happened Here?

Reya's voice sounded distant as adrenalin coursed through me.

At lightning speed, I pulled the strap of my rifle over my head, throwing it to the ground before I turned and began sprinting back into the darkness of the arcade.

I threw a glance over my shoulder, seeing the hunter chase behind me at full speed. It's reckless steps was all I focused on as I ran.

I heard Reya, Marco and Arjoon's quick paced steps following behind the hunter.

"We've got one!" I managed to shout as I ran, hoping it was loud enough for Bawden's team to hear on the other side of the pier.

I tried my best to avoid bumping into any of the machines, having to scale over a few in my way.

A series of crashes and thumps sounded behind. Chancing another glance over my shoulder, my heart beats irregularly when I don't see the others anymore.

The hunter's erratic movements had knocked over a few games and chairs behind it, causing them to fall back.
The arcade became brighter as I neared the doors we had entered from.

Once outside the arcade it wouldn't be much further of a sprint to the cage.
Finding the strength, I willed my body to go faster.

My lungs were on fire as I emerged from the arcade.

The hunters steps grew louder as my legs grew wearier. It's snapping jaws now audible as it closed in on me.

Panic begun to set in as my vision distorted.

"Come on!" I heard Dune shout as he came into view.

With the cage now a few meters away I used my last bit of energy to propel my self forward.

Time seemed to slow down as my body slammed on the pier. Pain searing through my jaw as my chin connected with the floorboards. I was only a few feet from the cage.

I looked back to see that the hunter was now coming at me on all fours.

Dune swore as he aimed his rifle at it.

Time sped up again.

"Don't shoot!" I shouted as I flipped onto back.

My boot connected with the hunter's skull, making it hit the pier now. It recovered quickly as I scrambled towards the cage, my movements fatigued and imprecise.

It took everything in me to make the dive.

I heard the cage slam shut as I landed on my stomach on the other side of it.

"What the-," Buck swore in disbelief. He was panting heavily, still clutching the rope tightly.

Rolling onto my back, my chest rose and fell with deep breaths. I closed my eyes.

I heard the metal of the cage shaking violently as the hunter growled lowly.
A shadow blocked the light from my face, making me open my eyes.

"That was stupid," Dune stared down at me with narrowed eyes.

A moment passed before he offered his hand to me.

I thought I saw the faintest of smiles on his lips as he pulled me to my feet.

A fury of footsteps clunked against the floorboards towards me.

"Hailey!" Reya hurried over to me. Marco and Arjoon at her side.

"I'm fine," I reassured them.

Another set of hurried steps approached me. Marco and Arjoon stepped aside to let Romero through.
He stopped next to them. His eyes were chaos, searching mine.