Chapter 6 - Stay

The next day passed in a daze, Nylah and Mom's condition worsened. I decided they weren't well enough to travel yet. We had been safe so far, maybe things were getting better. A day or two longer for them to recover would do us well.

I spent the day taking care of them and glued to the television to hear about any new development.

Tssssst. The steam rose as I removed the pot's cover and the aroma of tasty chicken noodle soup intensified in the air.

"That's about done."

I poured some into two bowls and took it to the next room.

Nylah was slouched on the couch flipping through channels and Mom was just sitting there, her chin propped on her fist and the cell phone in the other trying to reach dad again.

Taking the remote from Nylah I switched to a different news channel, still desperate for new information. The headlines read: Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia to be evacuated.

The news report went on to say, "Tomorrow at three p.m.the cities of Valencia, Madrid and Barcelona will begin evacuations.

This evacuation is a result of growing concern for the safety of citizens.

This is an attempt by the government to segregate those who pose a threat to others.

Persons will be scanned before they leave the cities, transport will be provided if needed."

As the reporter listed where each city's evacuation points were we noted where we had to go to evacuate Barcelona.

The news ended there, We were lucky to catch the end.

"Scanned?! Try another channel to see if you get the whole story." Nylah urged.

Flipping through more channels, I only got information we had already heard.

"Evacuation? How serious is this thing?" my Mom spoke.

"Apparently, it's too much for the police to get under control."

"Crazy attacks? Evacuation? When am I going to wake up from this twisted nightmare," Nylah ranted. I could see that she was scared.

My mind focused on the fact that we needed to start preparing for the evacuation.

Outside was darkening as the daylight drained out.

I retrieved a knapsack from my room and began packing things we would need, only carrying what's important.

When I was finished packing I sat down, my mind lingered on Nathan for a while so I decided to call him.

I had to let him know we were leaving for the evacuation tomorrow.

I called his phone but it went straight to voicemail.

I felt a pang of worry.

Maybe he was still detained with his teammates or so I hoped.

The last thing I did was plug in the cell phones to charge before going to bed.

Rays of twinkling sunlight filtered through spacing in the curtains, lighting up the room.

The brightness of daylight pulled me out of unconsciousness. I swung my legs off the couch, sitting there for a moment before I got up and proceeded to start preparing to leave.

I brushed my teeth and went to check on my Mom and Nylah. Mom was already awake and was about to take a shower.

I opened Nylah's door to find her still asleep. I walked up to her and touched her shoulder gently pushing her to wake up.