4

Fatin looked around at the remaining boys. "Ivan, right?" She asked, looking at the boy.

"Present," Ivan said proudly as he stood up. He put his hands on his hips.

"You're going with Shelby," Fatin said, looking at Shelby. Shelby stood up and went to Ivan.

"Bo, you're with Toni." Fatin spoke up. Something about her was that she knew the dynamics of people without even knowing them. She knew Scotty and Bo were best friends, just by the way they acted. She knew that Kirin had more to him than just being a jock by the huge scar forming on his forehead and the way he looked up to the boys in his group. She knew exactly what she was doing by the duo she was putting everyone in.

"Leah, you're with me." Fatin said, crossing her arm around Leah's arm. "Josh, you're staying back..."

"Indeed I am!" Josh assured, looking at Martha. The group all parted their ways after making a few plans. Shelby and Ivan were checking out the rooms that were left with shredded paper, to see if there is a map or anything like that. Leah was bringing Fatin to the control room, where she first found out that boys were also on the retreat. The room with cameras on the islands, maybe that's where Gretchen went? Josh and Martha were staying back, and lastly, Bo and Toni were gonna look on the top floor. They had tomorrow to investigate more, so this was just going to be a quick scan of what they were dealing with.

Things were slightly awkward at first, but Shelby broke the silence between her and Ivan. "I like your hair," Shelby said, smiling at the boy.

Ivan smiled, "I like yours too." He joked. "Where do you get it done?"

"Mental breakdown," Shelby spoke in her western accent, looking at the boy. The boy shook his head.

"Not trying to like, get into your personal life or whatever, but what's going on with the small girl." Ivan asked as he opened the door to the room with shredded paper and lamps.

"What do you mean?"

"Honey, I feel the tension in my bones." He joked. Shelby didn't want to think about Toni... but it may feel nice to get it off her chest. Shelby took a deep breath.

"Just..." She hesitated, but kept going. "Not everything last forever."

"Oh so you're gonna be all mysterious, huh?" Ivan asked Shelby. Shelby looked at her feet.

"I loved her," She spoke, feeling tears in her eyes. "And I fucked up."

"Oh, babe." Ivan said as he put his arm around Shelby. "I feel your pain."

"Even on that godforsaken island I felt like... like I was accepted. For the first time ever I was... I was free and... I took it for granted." Shelby spoke, now letting herself cry to the stranger. She was telling the truth, she didn't know Ivan. Ivan didn't know her, but she felt like he was willing to listen.

Ivan sighed. He also took things for granted before, he went through heartbreak.

"It was the last day that it happened, we never got to speak about it. I mean at the moment I thought it would be just temporary, but it's been two weeks and we haven't had the chance to speak about it." Shelby stated. "I doubt she wants to speak to me."

"I disagree." Ivan objected, and Shelby looked at him. "I mean, I don't know the bitch... but I saw many looks at you from her. I saw her daydreaming and shit. When in a literal dystopia, that doesn't happen a lot. She still loves you." Ivan spoke.

Shelby thought about his words. Could they be true?

Meanwhile, Fatin and Leah walked into the control room. As soon as Leah opened the door, she felt her heart sink. There was nothing in there. Just a room that went out far, but nothing was in there. Not even the desk, no twilight of Adam folder. Just an empty room that used to have evidence on evidence about this stupid experiment. Leah walked in and Fatin held the door as she saw Leah stop, then run to the end of the room.

"Where did it go?" Leah panicked to herself, looking back and forth as if the desk and tvs could have teleported across the room somehow. Leah found herself looking at every corner.

"Leah..." Fatin started, but Leah cut her off.

"There was a bunch of tvs, and a computer on a desk. There were files, there were papers, the twilight of Adam." Leah began, speaking quickly. "It had all of this shit, its - its gone." Leah walked closer to Fatin. "It's gone."

Fatin saw tears darken Leah's blue eyes and she gently embraced Leah into a warm hug. Leah immediately started sobbing once she felt Fatin's touch. "It was here," Leah said. "The - everything, it was here."

Fatin hushed Leah as she sat on the floor crying. None of this was fair, after they were put into a life or death situation they should get money, they should see their families, but no. Instead they are cramped in an isolated bunker away from the world. Away from everything they've ever known, away from life itself. Now they just have each other.

As Fatin felt Leah crying, she thought it was best for Leah to get some rest. Leah's eye bags were perpetual, it looked like she hadn't slept in days. "Hey, it's getting late. We have tomorrow, I'm tired and you are too. Come on, we can sleep in my room." Fatin said as she put her arm under Leah's shoulder and brought her to her room.

The two walked up the steps, and Bo gave it another shot. "I came here with my best friend too, Scotty."

Toni turned around as she heard Bo talk.

"I know how hard it is, to watch them change. To know you couldn't stop it."

____________________________

guys is this good so far