𝚃𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚔 𝚘𝚛 𝚃𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝, 𝙵𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚔

Early the next morning, Dad cooked us all French toast as I began getting dressed and packing all of my books into my backpack

Early the next morning, Dad cooked us all French toast as I began getting dressed and packing all of my books into my backpack. Today was Halloween. No one in high school really dressed up for Halloween and no way was I going to be the only one who did. So I didn't either. I grabbed my backpack and walked over to the table and sat in front of my empty plate.

"Morning,"

"Good morning," Dad replied

"Happy Halloween," I said, waving my hands around a little bit.

"Oh, yeah! Happy Halloween," He said back. Before we could continue talking, he turned around and saw a small figure with a white sheet over it's head and two eyes poking out of it. It was El, dressed as a ghost.

"Oh, Jesus!" Dad yelled out, startled by her silent entrance.

"Ghost," El said plainly.

"Yeah, I see that,"

"Halloween,"

"Sure is," he said, equally as unenthusiastically as he did before. "But right now, it's breakfast, okay? Come on, let's eat,"

"They wouldn't see me," she continued. "The bad men,"

"What are you talking about?"

"Trick or treat,"

"You want to go trick or treating?" He asked. El nodded her head. I knew she was going to be disappointed, and it made me so sad that she wasn't going to get a normal kid's Halloween, let alone childhood. "You know the rules,"

"Yes, but-"

"Yeah, so you know the answer,"

"No, but they wouldn't see me,"

"Hey, I don't care. I don't care, alright. You go out there, ghost or not, it's a risk,"

"Dad, what if I took her? I could make sure no one sees her and she'd be totally safe,"

"Jo, you know we can't do that. What if you run into one of the kids? You'd have to explain who you're taking out trick or treating. And we don't take risks. All right? They're stupid, and..?"

"We're not stupid," El and I said, perfectly in sync. That's sort of become Dad's catchphrase since we moved into the cabin with El. I knew exactly why he didn't want her to go out, but this just seemed like the perfect opportunity for it. Everyone would have masks on anyway, so no one would even notice her. I knew there was no convincing Dad though, so I dropped the subject after that.

"Exactly. Now, you take that off, sit down and eat. Your food's getting cold," El whipped the sheet off of her head and sat down at the table next to me, very disappointed about the verdict.

"Alright, look. How about I get off early tonight, and I buy us a bunch of candy, and we can all sit around and get fat, and we watch a scary movie together? How's that for compromise," Dad suggested. Since I wasn't going to Tina's party tonight, that did seem like a good way to spend my Halloween.