𝙳𝚒𝚐 𝙳𝚞𝚐

When I woke up that morning, I assumed Dad had already left for work

When I woke up that morning, I assumed Dad had already left for work. Nancy and I had agreed on meeting for a group project for our history class, so I immediately got up to get ready to go to her house. I knew I had to go to work on the project, but I also thought it would be nice to hang out with her since I would imagine she was about as miserable as I was after her fight with Steve on Halloween.

"Hey, El?" I called out once I had gotten dressed. I walked into the living room to find her curled up on the couch.

"Yes?"

"Im gonna go over to Nancy house for a little bit to work on a project for school. I'll be back as soon as I can. Okay?"

"Alright," she replied quietly.

"There's all the usual stuff in the fridge if you get hungry. And try not to get too bored,"

"I won't," she said. With that, I grabbed my backpack, waved goodbye and made my way towards Nancy's house.

◦◦,'°.✽✦✽.◦.✽✦✽.°',◦◦

I rode onto the Wheeler's driveway, set my bike down and began to walk up to the front door. On my way, I noticed another bike laying on the concrete. I knew it wasn't Mike's seeing as he usually left his in the garage, so I assumed it was one of the boys. As I rounded the corner, I just about ran into Dustin who was sharply walking away from the house.

"Jo!" he exclaimed. His eyes lit up as he made eye contact.

"Hey Dustin! What're you doing here?" I asked with an attempt at a smile.

"I need help. Anyones help, really. I came to ask Mike but he's not home. And then I asked about Nancy, and she's not here either so I was just about to give up until I saw you-"

"Nancy's not home?" I asked, cutting him off.

"No. Mr. Wheeler said she was at some friends house. But anyways, we've gotta go now. It's an emergency," he explained as he began to continue down the concrete path. I couldn't help but feel a little sad that Nancy went to another friend to talk instead of me, especially after we had planned to hang out. I brushed it off though. She must be going through a hard time too.

"Where are we going?" I asked Dustin as he sped away. I quickened my pace to keep up with him. Before he could explain, a little burgundy car drove up to the curb which I immediately recognized. Steve Harrington opened the car door and exited, holding a bouquet of red roses. He was here to apologize to Nancy, no doubt. I heard him mumbling to himself as Dustin walked up to him.

"Steve," he said, quickly gaining Steve's attention as his head turned sharply. "Are those for Mr. or Mrs. Wheeler?"

"No," Steve replied, more like a question than a statement.

"Good," Dustin said as he yanked the flowers out of Steve's hand and began his way to Steve's car.

"Hey. What the hell?"

"Nancy isn't home," Dustin explained.

"Well, where is she?"

"Doesn't matter," Dustin said, opening the backseat to Steve's car. "We have bigger problems than your love life. You still have that bat?"

"Bat? What bat?" Steve asked. His eyebrows were furrowed and he looked bewildered.

"The one with the nail," he explained matter of factly.

"Why?"

"Ill explain on the way," he said, finally sitting down. 

I remember that El was still at home, so I hoped whatever this was wouldn't take too long. After the shitty week she had, I really wanted to be there for her.

"Jo! Come on!" Dustin yelled back at me. 

I took that as my cue the come over to the car. I practically ran to the passenger seat as Dustin thrusted the roses into my hands. I then sat down, giving Steve a little shrug to show that I had no idea what Dustin was talking about the entire time. I didn't have a clue what was going on.

"Now?" Steve asked.

"Now!" Dustin said, slamming the back door shut. With a small sigh, Steve walked back to the car and sat down and started to drive away. He turned to me, hoping for some kind of explanation of what was going on.

"Sorry," was all I could think to say. "I'm just as confused as you,"