Chapter 3

"Adeline Curtis" I rush out in a panic when he finally walks through the door again a few hours later. I was still unsure if I should've talked to him but my bladder wasn't giving me a choice at this point. It was either I face the punishment or pee myself and ruin the bed, which I'm sure will result in something worse.

I gain no reaction from him as he enters the room, I don't bother to look at his face to see if he acknowledged it so I try again.

"That's m-my name, Adeline Curtis" I say again softly, my voice coming out a little bit croaky. I watch his feet as he still does not answer but instead diverts towards the dresser in the room.

Cold dread runs through me as my mind flashes back to the dresser at home, the one they use to store everything in. If it causes me pain, it's in the dresser. Knowing he could be going to grab something to inflict me pain makes my blood run cold

I chastise myself, repeating in my head that I shouldn't have spoken out. It really was just a test.

Despite that thought being drilled into my head at that moment, the second I heard the drawer being opened all my sense flew out the window. I feel hysteria oncoming as I turn my gaze upwards, seeing his hands in the drawer.

"Please I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to speak out of turn. Don't hurt me please I'm begging you, I can behave I promise. Just give me one more chance" The words tumble out of my mouth at record speed, almost incomprehensible as they all blend together by my panicked sobbing. I'm so worn down and exhausted I genuinely do not believe I could survive another beating.

My wild eyes are trained on his as he looks my way at the sound of my hysterics. Shock passes his face before he purses his lips together and lets out a sigh through his nose. Turning back to the dresser, he pulls out a key and shows it to me.

I would probably laugh at myself in this moment for being such a moron if I wasn't so deep down in the hysterics. My sobs refuse to give up while fat tears roll down my face. I try my best to breathe through the sobs and calm myself down, albeit not with much success as the man begins to walk towards me causing me to curl back in on myself.

He squats down at the side of the bed, near my shaking body. I squeeze my eyes shut, focusing in on the clanging of the chain my shaking is causing. I use it as a distraction from what is to come.

"If you tell me why Charlotte sent you, I'll uncuff you." His deep voice near me makes me flinch. I peak my eyes open at him, confused by his question. His hard eyes stare me down.

"C-charlotte?" I whisper out, I thought Alex sent me here.

"Charlotte Flynn" He repeats, his face scrunching up. I shake my head, not sure who or what he's talking about.

"What am I doing here and w-who is Charlotte?" I bravely ask him. Hoping to clear the fog in my mind and give him some answers. He simply shakes his head with a sigh, reaching over to grab hold of my wrist.

"If I find out you're lying to me, you're going to find yourself in a worse condition then the one I found you in" He threatens me. I widen my eyes and nod my head hasilty, doing any to avoid a punishment.

He twists my arm and causes me to hiss out as the friction of my raw skin burns. He finally finds the hole for the key and unlocks the cuffs. All while I struggle to breathe. Between the pain, the man standing so close to me and my almost panic attack still in motion, I feel like I'm going to pass out any second now.

Thankfully he removes himself and steps back while still watching. We sit in silence for a few moments so I take the opportunity to calm down best I can. With the man unmoving I find it easier to get ahold of my anxiety and think things through.