Chapter 15

*Kyrans POV*

The cell unlocking wakes me up with a shock.

"How did you manage this dude?" Nick's voice laughs out in a tone way too loud for the morning.

I groan out, Between worrying about addie getting back safe and this hard ledge I've called a bed, I hardly got a wink of sleep.

"Just get me out of here dude" I stand up with a stretch, feeling my sore muscles protest. Nick leads the way out the door and down the corridor beside me.

"You're lucky I was on shift this morning, the boys were talking about keeping you here 'til lunch break" He chuckles. I struggle to find the humour in it and give him a deadpan look.

He opens the doors that separate the cells from the main area of the local cop shop and allows me to go through first.

I blink at the bright morning light filtering through the windows, when my vision clears I see her. It makes me freeze and hold my breath.

Adeline's small body curled up in a chair in the waiting area, head leaning against a window clearly fast asleep.

Guilt washes over me upon realizing she must've waited for me all night. What was I possibly thinking getting locked up.

It's been so long since I've had to worry about anyone else besides myself, It's almost a foreign concept at this point.

It takes me back to my years with Charlotte and it's like pushing a knife further into my chest.

"Let me get your shit" Nick brings me back to earth. He pulled a funny face at my obvious staring contest with the unconscious women but he doesn't mention anything thankfully.

As Nick walks behind the counter, I make my way over and squat down in front of Addie, taking in her peaceful face. I feel at ease knowing she's safe, here in front of me.

"Hey, ads" I say quietly, remembering back to the last time I tried to wake her up. I gently place my hand on her leg and give it a small squeeze, my stomach does a flip at the small contact.

She blinks her eyes open, the bright light affecting her as it did for me moments earlier. She glances around the room in confusion, finally landing on me in front of her.

Not even a second passes before she flies out of her chair and onto me, knocking me back onto my ass with her between my legs.

Her arms wrap tightly around me as she lets out a big sob into my shoulder. It takes a few moments for the shock to pass but when it does, I grip onto her small form. Wrapping one arm around her back and placed my hand against the back of her head, holding her in place. My chest feels tight at the sensation of her soft hair between my fingers.

"I'm sorry Addie, I didn't mean to scare you last night" She shakes her head in reply, sobs falling out of her body as fast as a bullet train.

I feel terrible I let this happen, I swear she's shed enough tears for a lifetime already.

Despite the remorse ripping through my body, I selfishly don't want to let her body go. It feels too nice to hold her in my arms again. Deep down I know, she deserves better than this.

Better than what I could give her.

*The Night Previous*

I'm not sure if I regret nagging kyran into letting me go with him but I can't turn back now, I refuse to be left alone again.

Admittedly I'm way too exhausted to go out after shopping earlier but kyran insisted that he's going to the pub. With or without me.

I admire myself in the mirror in the bathroom, I did my best to use some of the tips Jamila gave me earlier today.