Chapter 6

Turns out I was completely right when I said I couldn't handle a few hours of trekking. We've been going for two hours already and have an hour left to go. My whole body feels like it's vibrating and I don't think I can lift my injured arm anymore.

Kyran keeps looking back at me with a concerned look in his eye and his lips pursed, he doesn't say anything though. I simply pick up my pace each time and stay silent.

After this morning's fiasco, I feel way too embarrassed to say anything his way even if I wanted to.

We tried to leave the cabin but the moment my eyes caught the forest ahead of me I stopped dead in my tracks. And just spiralled. Flashbacks overcome me while Kyran tried to help. I didn't recognise him though, so I fought back and I fought hard.

We ended up sitting in the snow for a good hour while I calmed down. He suggested we try again tomorrow but I refused. He put all this preparation into this trek just for me to act out. I don't want to be a burden on him.

So on we went, I struggled against the memories of being chased and I was jumping at every movement. But after a few hours, I started to settle down. Logically I know there's no way he's still out here so I keep repeating that to myself and it helps.

Kyran is obviously still a little shaken up from this morning though. He watches me like a hawk while keeping a sizable distance so as not to spook me.

While as appreciative as I am for that, I can't help but feel silly when his concerned eyes run over my body every couple of minutes.

I feel myself slow down again, my head going light as I trudge through the muddy snow in Kyrans oversized shoes.

"Okay enough, sit" he stops dead in his tracks and points to a boulder just up ahead slightly. Thanking my lucky stars, I make my way over to it with more enthusiasm than before. Plopping myself down with a sigh.

Kyran places my designated water bottle near me, close enough for me to reach out and grab it. Opening the bottle, I chug the water. My throat and body thanking me.

"If you weren't up for this, you should have just said so. We could've waited a couple of days" Kyran tells me off, fingers squeezing the bridge of his nose.

"I'm sorry" I reply meekly, praying to God he doesn't get physical when he's mad. Exhaling through his nose, he squats down above the snow at my side to take a break.

"We'll get you in to see the doctor while we're there, get some stronger pain meds too." He says, sounding a little annoyed. The idea of a male doctor coming near me gives me a chill, being near Kyran alone is enough for me already.

"I-its okay, I'm really fin-" I start, Kyran cutting me off with a stern look thrown my way. Effectively making me shut up and look back down towards my feet.

"This is not negotiable Adeline, don't even try." He firmly states, saying my name for the first time. It completely throws me off-guard, the way he said it as if reprimanding a child.

"Sorry" I repeat from earlier, except this time in a daze. Watching as Kyran completely ignores me and chugs down some water. A big sigh comes out of his mouth when he's finished all the water. I watch the side of his face the whole time, admiring the strong features on his face.

He stands back up suddenly, shuffling the rucksack and rifle around on his shoulders.

"We should probably head off again if we want to be able to get an appointment in time for today." He says, making me groan internally. He really does know how to ruin a moment.

The next hour feels like an eternity. When we finally reach the edge of the forest I almost want to kiss the buildings in relief. Emphasis on almost.

"We should book our room in the motel first, then get that appointment with the doctor." He plans, I'm sure he's probably thinking out loud more than actually speaking with me. I don't bother to reply, I just follow his lead as he makes his way along the mostly deserted streets.