Chapter 4

He didn't even give me a chance to finish my food before the onslaught of questions came my way. Thankfully I was beginning to feel full anyway so it wasn't too much of a loss.

"Let's start simple, where are you from?" He asks directly, stepping back from his bowl of food to lean against the bench behind him and crossing his arms. He studied my face while I grow confused. He must know where I'm from if he knows Alex, surely. Deciding to humour him either way, I clear my throat quietly in preparation to reply.

"I-" I start, the words getting stuck. I clear my throat again more violently. Feeling my hands start to shake, I turn my head away and remove him from my vision in hopes it would help.

"Wellston" I whisper out, only barely loud enough for him to be able to hear it. He hums lightly in reply. A small feeling of relief washed through me at this not being a test and him allowing me to speak in his presence without lashing out.

"Age?" He asks again dragging me back from my thoughts. I stop to think for a moment, mulling over the last time I knew the date. Coming up with a complete blank.

"W-what year is it now?" I ask, confidence growing slightly in my voice.

"2023" He replies stoically. His reply makes me suck a breath in. Has it really been that long?

"I'd be 22 or 23 then" Figuring out the very basic maths that my age is. I look towards his face, almost proud of myself until I see the frown etched on his face. He stares deeply at me, his eyes screaming that he's unimpressed. It causes my eyes to glance back to where they were looking originally. Losing the little buzz of excitement I had over my age.

"What about the other night, if you're from Wellston then what the fuck were you doing miles away from it in the forest?" He pushed off the counter as he asks. His question throws me off guard, I try to recollect whatever he was talking about.

"I don't understand, what forest?" I ask with growing confusion. Looking back his way I see him moving in closer to me.

"I found you practically dead in the middle of the forest. I want to make sure you have absolutely nothing to do with Charlotte, so what were you doing in the forest?" He pushed out more stern this time. His words bring an onslaught of memories. From the beating, shooting my godfather and being chased through the forest. I remember it all.

I jump out of the chair in shock, letting out a cry as I cover my mouth with my hand. I shake my head in pure disbelief, I can't believe I'm actually alive. This is real.

My legs feel weak below me, making me drop down into a squat beside the island bench. The man lets out a noise, he hops around to my side of the bench and appears before me.

I look up at him with tears streaming down my face. I laugh out in sheer joy, despite knowing that he'd still be out there looking for me. It makes me flip between delight and dread. I feel like I'm spiralling between the two.

"You good?" He reached a tattooed arm out as he squats before me. I flinch in pure instinct, throwing myself backwards to get away from his oncoming hand. I knock myself into the bench behind me, hitting my head. I cry out again, grabbing the back of my head.

"Jesus Christ, dude. Calm the fuck down." He says, eyes wide as he takes in my hunched form before him. I shake my head again, still crying. He stays silent for a while, I can only assume he's watching me. I don't look up to meet his eyes, instead putting my head on my knees in front of me.

"Why don't we get you cleaned up or something. We can talk about this another time" He says gently, making my tear-streaked face turn up and look at him. He's got a small reassuring smile on his face. His tough exterior slowly melts away the longer it's there.