Chapter 11

A light coating of sweat covers me as my mind replays every moment of receiving my scars. It's been hours now and I'm still here laying awake. It was earlier today that Kyran first mentioned my scars, admittedly I hadn't really thought too much of them before. Now they're plaguing my mind.

The room starts to feel too small so I toss the blankets off my bare legs and move over to the window, moving aside the makeshift curtain so I can see the moon. It's almost full which makes it shine brightly down on me and lights up the room. I sit back on the bed like this for a few moments, using the view before me as a distraction.

It doesn't work as well as I had hoped, the room still feeling too stuffy. I decide to get up to use the bathroom in hopes it'll be a chance to reset, so I can come back into the room with a fresh head and fall asleep.

The hallway air has a slight chill to it as I open the door, the thin sheen of sweat covering my body probably isn't helping in that fact though. I creep my way down the hall and to the bathroom. Closing the door behind me as quietly as I can, I breathe out the moment I lock it behind me.

The sink stands before me so I turn the tap and splash my face with some cold water. I catch my eyes in the mirror as I bring my head up. I search them for the same look Kyran mentioned seeing earlier, coming up with a complete blank on what the hell he was talking about. It makes me look down towards the scars on my body though, looking at what he was talking about.

I tentatively go to remove my shirt to get a better glance, stopping to quickly recheck that I locked the door before stripping my top off entirely. I look down at my pale skin in the mirror, no matter how much I pretend to be normal. These scars will always be a reminder that I can't and never will be. I can't escape him.

On the other hand, I notice my body has filled in significantly since I've started eating more. My ribs are no longer deathly noticeable and for the first time in my life, my boobs look like they're about to spill out of my tiny bra. It makes me aware of how uncomfortable it's starting to feel. So I take it off, letting my breasts breathe some fresh air. I throw my bra in the washing basket before hastily putting my top back on, I feel a bit too exposed with no bra and no top combined.

I no longer look like a crackhead gone on a bender, my golden locks are looking thicker and healthier. My face and body are no longer as sunken in, it's all progress. It reminds me of what I used to look like, healthy. If only it weren't for the stupid scars.

I tear my eyes away from the mirror, the longer I look the more it upsets me. The whole reason I'm in here is to get away from thinking like that.

My hands violently rub my face to rid of those thoughts as I walk toward the door. As quietly as possible, I unlock it and creep my way out. I place my hand on the edge of the door as I slowly try to close it.

"You're awake?" A voice calls out from down the hall. It makes me squeak in fright, slamming the door shut as my body jumps. I turn my wide eyes in the direction it came from and find Kyran halfway out his door. I sag my body in relief knowing it's just him.

"I can't sleep to be honest, I was going to go have a hot chocolate if you'd like one too?" He asks, closing his door the rest of the way and walking towards me. I place my back against the bathroom door and rub my hands over my face again while I calm my wild heart.

"You good?" I hear Kyran whisper out as he nears me, slowing to a stop before me.

"You scared me" I whisper back, peeking my eyes out to look up at him. He looks pretty worse for wear with red eyes and messy hair.

"Sorry, I thought you knew I was here" He chuckles out under his breath, looking at me through my hands. I take one last deep breath and let them fall from my face. My heart returned to the regular pace it should be going at.

"Hot Chocolate?" He asks me again, with a small smile on his face. I nod my head and push myself off the door. The thought of a hot chocolate has me practically drooling.

We make our way to the kitchen in relative silence, not really sure what to say to him right now. I notice he looks unusually casual in a black tee and track pants, it looks kind of good on him to be honest. A blush rises onto my cheeks as that thought passes through my head.

"Can you grab the powdered milk out of the cupboard?" Kyran asked, bringing me back to reality as we walk into the kitchen. I thank my lucky stars nobody can read my thoughts as I scramble over to the cupboard.

Kyran thanks me as I put the powdered milk next to the mugs. He nods his head towards the bench that I'm leaning on, hinting at me to take a seat on it. I do as he tells me and jump up onto the bench next to him, watching as he works.

Kyrans eyes take a few glances over to my milky thighs on display next to the mugs. Admittedly, his glances don't make me as uncomfortable as I'd thought so I keep my mouth closed. Allowing him to finish up the delicious drinks.

He hands me the warm mug before leaning his elbows onto the bench next to me, his mug warming his own hands. I take a sip of the warm drink, closing my eyes and humming out in content as the sweet flavour hits my tongue. It makes me feel nostalgic, remembering the times I'd drink this with my parents before bed.

"I didn't realize my hot chocolates were that good" He jokes quietly, watching my reaction from beside me. It makes me smile from behind the mug.

"It's been so long since I've had one, it's so delicious" I reply to him just as quietly, scared to disturb the serene environment around us.

Kyran's face is lit up with the moonlight as we look back at each other. His face seems so much more relaxed than normal, giving him a softer look.

"I need to start going hunting later on this week, I didn't bring any food back with us when we went to town." He lets out a sigh. I take another quick sip of my drink before replying.

"I don't mind going back down into town if you need, I might actually be able to keep up with you this time" I say half-joking, Kyran turns me down instantly by shaking his head no.

"I hate the people in town, if I can avoid it I will" He admits, catching me by surprise.

"Really! You don't like anyone there?" I shoot back, disturbing the quiet of the kitchen.

"You seem shocked, I thought it was obvious I didn't like them" He says with an eyebrow raise. I try to think back to any time he'd made his distaste for them obvious but I draw up a blank. So I shrug at him in return.

"Honestly, the way the old guy at the motel was talking to you made it sound like you were good friends." Whispering out, the serene environment finding its way back.

"That gross old guy? No way. There's a local cop I guess you could say I'm nice with. That's about it though." A smile makes its way onto his face again as he mentions his friend.

"Well I guess you're lucky that I'm around then, you're not a complete loner. " I giggle out, making fun of him. I expected him to laugh along with me except he doesn't.

"I guess I am." He whispers as his smile broadens. It catches me off guard, leaving me rendered silent. I hadn't meant what I said but for him to affirm it, puts a weird feeling in my tummy. I grip my mug harder and turn my head to stare out the window to avoid his eyes.

We sit in silence for the rest of our hot chocolates, Kyran finishing his with a big sigh. He lifts himself from the bench beside me, making me look his way.

"I should probably catch some sleep, we need to be up somewhat early." He says to me while putting his mug in the sink.

"Why is that?" I ask, only hearing of this now.

"We need to get some water from the valley, I don't want to run out." He explains, I simply nod my head in reply. Kyran turns to leave just as I finish up my hot chocolate, I continue to sit there and stare out the window at the moon.

"Night Adeline." He says as he makes his way up the staircase in the lounge, leaving before I get the chance to reply.

"Night Kyran" I whisper to the empty room behind me.

~~~~

Authors note 💕

Please don't forget to give this chapter that pretty little star 💫 It makes all the difference and warms my heart every time!

I thought they needed some mellow, non-dramatic moments together tbh 🙊