Chapter 7

My fingers grip the pen tight, I pray that maybe it might be enough to steady my hand. Not that it would do much anyways. I have no idea what half the words on this clipboard mean.

The receptionist gave it to Kyran, instructing him that I have to fill it out quickly before going in. So here I sit in a room that is way too small, losing my mind over a little old piece of paper. It's especially hard with Kyrans massive frame taking up all the space, making the room close to claustrophobic.

So far, I know it's asking for my name. Tentatively in place the pen on the paper, shakily writing out my name, having to spell out each letter under my breath. I can see Kyran glance over wearily, making me feel more nervous. Literally over a damn piece of paper.

I finish writing my name and try to read the other questions on the paper. It asks for things such as my contact number or email, whatever an email even is, I just continue to look at the paper with a shaky hand.

"Would you like some help?" Kyran whispers over to me.

"Yes please" I hastily replied, stuffing the clipboard over to him so fast you'd think it burnt me.

A small smile forms on his face at my actions before he briefly goes over the questions. Filling out some of the options that he doesn't need to ask me about. I watch as he writes, making my handwriting look like a 5th graders in comparison.

"Your birthday?" He asks.

"Uh, the 7th of September" Needing to think about it for a moment, not having had any reason to recall my birth date in the last couple of years.

"Phone number, email or any other contact details?" He continues. I just kind of stare at the paper in his hands, not really sure what to tell him.

"Alright, moving on. Any chance you have medical insurance " I sink down into the chair, not sure what he's even asking now.

"Thought so." He writes a few more things on the paper before standing up to take it back to the receptionist for me. He has a brief conversation about the contents of the paper, a conversation I don't even want to hear.

"Come on" Kyran turns around to say to me. Making me stand quickly and rush up to him. I follow his lead into the doctor's office down the hall.

"Hey guys, have a seat over here. I just have to quickly bring up your file on the computer so I'll just be a moment." A feminine voice calls out from the other side of the open doorway. Kyran blocking my view. Once he moves towards the seats he was directed to sit in, I see a younger woman sitting at a computer looking very professional.

All my worries melt away with the knowledge that it won't be a man to see to my injuries. I follow in Kyrans steps and sit down in the seat beside him, the one closest to the doctor.

"Alright Adeline, what can I do for you today?" She asks nicely after a couple of minutes, turning her swivel chair to face me. I open my mouth to begin a sentence, not really getting further than that before I freeze up and choke on the words.

I wring my hands together as I become unnervingly aware that everyone's eyes are on me, waiting for me to say something. I slide my eyes over to Kyran in panic, hoping he'd save me like all the other times.

He seemed to take the hint and begins to explain to the doctor my injuries that he has concerns over. He goes over how he thinks they may have come about and what he did to care for them. My eyes are glued to his face as he speaks, hypnotising me.

He almost seemed like a dream right now. He has done everything in my interest since the moment I met him. Not once taking advantage of me, lashing out or even getting mad. I consider pinching myself to be sure this is all real.

"Earth to Adeline, you in there still?" The woman laughs at me, waving her hands to catch my attention. My face flushes hard at the fact that I was caught staring.

"Can I have a look over your injuries?" She asks, directing me towards a medical bed in the corner of the room. I stand up and follow her lead. She closes a curtain across half the room, blocking out Kyran's view of the table.

"If you could just remove your jumper and top, then sit upon the bed for me?" She directs as she washes her hands and puts gloves on. I do as she asks, slowly removing Kyrans massive jumper and long sleeve shirt. Leaving me in my old tattered bra while I sit upon the bed.

When the doctor turns around, she sucks in a breath of shock as she sees my body.

"Oh Adeline, sweetheart. Who did that to you?" She asks me in a hushed voice as she comes closer. She turns the spotlight beside the bed on, she turns it to face me and looks over my body.

Once she has her fill of looking over the scars, scratches and bruises, she looks expectantly at my face like she was waiting for an answer. I glance away with a shrug, not wanting to talk. She makes a disapproving noise in the back of her throat but brings her attention to my arm.

She pokes and probs my arm in specific for a while before checking over the rest of me for anything significant. Concluding her search, she gently tells me to redress.

Wasting no time, I throw my clothes back on and sit back in the seat I was in originally.

"You did a good job at cleaning it up and healing it so far. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll find it'll get better on its own." She starts, directing most of this information Kyrans way. Not that I mind too much.

"Adeline, I'm very concerned about the state the rest of your body is in. You're without a doubt malnourished, your best bet would be regular healthy meals mixed in with daily protein shakes." She gently directs to me this time, I nod my head. Not really absorbing much of what she says though.

"If that doesn't work or you find yourself having problems keeping food down. Come back immediately. You're obviously a very at-risk woman so I'm going to give you a card with my number on it. If you find yourself in a vulnerable position, I want you to make no hesitation in calling me okay?" She holds eye contact with me as she says this. I smile slightly her way, feeling a bit emotional at the effort she's putting in. It makes me feel cared for, worthy of being cared for even.

She hands over some prescriptions for pain medications and a card with her number on it. Kyran is the first to stand, both the doctor and I following not long after. She opens the door for us, thanking us for our visit and nods in Kyrans direction. She wishes us a good rest of the day as we walk out.

"Go have a seat while I pay the receptionist" Kyran quietly directs me towards the seats in the waiting room before approaching the desk. Sorting out the fiances doesn't take very long. Before I know it, we're back out on the street heading in the direction of the shopping district further down the street.

Neither of us acknowledge anything that was said in the office, we just wander our way down to the busy, lit-up area of the town. I stand close to Kyran feeling hidden next to his frame. The realisation in the doctor's office towards Kyran helps ease my nerves of walking around the streets. I know he's there, looking out for me.

This feels like a dream.

~~~~

Authors note 💕

Please don't forget to give this chapter that pretty little star 💫 It makes all the difference and warms my heart every time someone does.

Thank you guys x