(3) You Can Have Her

"How did you get the mark?" Max queries, as they were walking home from the Shelbys house.

"What mark?"

"On your wrist, Jem." Max states, and confused she lifts the hem of her sleeve, to see the outline of a hand, "it was him, wasn't it?"

"He didn't mean to."

"I don't care about the intention of his actions," Max replies, "for him to cause that sort bruising, he's had to have a strong hold, and you can't tell me he wouldn't have recognised what force he was holding you with."

"We're not together anymore, so it doesn't matter." Jemima shrugs.

"You are meant to be the smart one, Jem." Max groans, "I don't care if it's over, it still matters. He laid his hands on you and thought it was okay to do so. I'm not letting him get away with it."

"Not letting him? What do you expect to do, Max?" Jemima questions.

"I expect to kick his arse, and I'm sure John will be happy to help." Max replies.

"John? What does John know about this?"

"He's the one that saw your wrist." Max sighs, "look, I know you dislike violence, I know that. But he deserves it, and if he doesn't listen to words, he'll have to learn somehow."

"What if I get back together with him? How could I ever look him in the eye knowing that I allowed you to do this?"

"You're not getting back together with him." Max states.

"Why not? I love him."

"That's not enough!" Max scoffs, "if he's done this, he doesn't respect you, he doesn't care for you. If he can hurt you without it hurting him, he does not love you. You deserve better, Jem. You deserve the fucking world, and Duncan Matthews will not give it to you."

"I don't know how to give him up," Jemima replies, looking at him with tears in her eyes, "I know it's not healthy, but I somehow always want to go to him."

"You are a strong woman, Jem. He does not deserve an ounce of your attention," Max says, "don't let him make you think you need to give it to him. I know you Jem, and you don't take shit from anyone, so don't you dare take it from him."

"It's not as easy as that, Max." Jemima shrugs, as he places his arm round her shoulders, "I'm still going to beat his arse."

"Seriously?"

"When am I never not serious?" Max grins.

-

"Jemima! Come on!" Duncan says, knocking his fist against her front door, "don't ignore me. We need to talk."

"No we don't," Jemima replies, opening the door.

"Yes we do, we're not over." Duncan states, "so don't even get that thought in your head."

"What-" Jemima didn't manage to get her words out, Duncan had stepped inside the house, one hand on the base of her neck, the other on her hip, pulling her close as he pressed his lips to hers.