(20) Johns Wedding

"It looks like a wedding," Ada states confused.

"You would be correct," Polly says, "this partnership will end a war and help us win against Billy Kimber."

They walk up a slant and Jemima notices John kneeling beside a woman dressed in white.

"Johns life isn't a fucking business transaction, are you taking the piss?" Jemima says.

"There's nothing to be done about it now," Polly sighs.

"Tommy is selling him off just so he can one-up Kimber." Jemima states angrily.

"It's how this line of business works, we need to form partnerships," Polly responds, "now no more talking, the ceremony is about to start."

Jemima bites her tongue, she knew it wasn't Pollys idea, she knew there wasn't much to be done now that the plan was in action. She knew that any trivial attempt to stop the 'wedding' would only make things worse.

"There remains one more part of the ceremony," Johnny Dogs states, as he was handed a knife, John and the bride placing their hands out, "the mingling of the two bloods."

He slices into each of their palms, "where the two families become one."

The young couple place their hands together, "I now pronounce you man and wife. Go on, kiss the bride, will you?"

There was an explosion of applause as John kisses the woman, Jemima claps her hands cordially but not too enthusiastically.

"You don't look too happy, not in love with groom are we?" A teasing voice speaks from beside her, causing her to glance to the side.

"No, definitely not. He's my best friend," Jemima responds, "like a brother."

"I'm Gabriel Lee, pleasure to make your acquaintance..."

"Jemima," she tells him, smiling as he offers her a bow.

"Ahh, Bosko owes me a crown." Gabriel grins.

She gives him a look of confusion, "what?"

"I bet my brother that you'd have a gorgeous smile and I was absolutely, undoubtedly correct," Gabriel winks.

"How do you know the bride?" Jemima queries.

"Esmé? She's my niece." Gabriel says, "my brother Bosko is a lot older than I am. So my niece is actually older than I am, not sure by how much, but she was definitely born before I was."

Gabriel smiles at her, "now why are you so glum at a wedding?"

"They didn't really have a choice, did they? Seems like a lot of force and pressure was used to get them to do this," Jemima tells him.

"I suppose, but they look happy," Gabriel says, gesturing to where John was beaming at Esmé as they spoke.

"So cheer up, it's a wedding, celebrate." Gabriel chuckles, giving her a playful nudge, "and if you're in need of some entertainment, I can guarantee my cousin Bartley will get absolutely hammered very quickly and it will be hilarious."

"I'm going to make it my personal mission to keep a smile on your face all night," Gabriel smirks, "and maybe even tomorrow morning, if I get so lucky."

"Are you propositioning me?" Jemima says, amusement laced in her tone.

"Would it be the worst thing in the world?" Gabriel shrugs, giving her an extremely charming smile.

"We'll have to wait and see," Jemima hums.

"That's not a no," Gabriel says.

"It is not," Jemima responds, "now, how about a drink? I think I'm heartily in need."